• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increased Body Temperature Variation?

Wishful

I read that for healthy people, body temperature varies up to .5C through the 24-hr cycle. Mine seems to vary .7C between early morning (36.2, oral) and evening (36.9). I've had higher and lower temps when my symptoms were more severe. I was wondering if a higher variation in temperature is common with ME/CFS. Does anyone else check their temperature often enough to know what their variation is?

I've seen some other messages here about lower body temperature being common with ME/CFS. When my ME first started, it seemed that my oral temperature was 36.65C whenever I measured it while feeling baseline symptoms, and would rise (up to 37.6) with the severity of other symptoms. I doubt that I checked my temperature in the wee hours of the morning, but it seemed very stable during the day, though the average was well below 37.0.

Some people here might report abnormally high temperatures, but I expect most of those higher levels are due to infections or other immune activation.

I'm just wondering if there's an abnormality in ME/CFS temperature variation that might be useful for diagnostic purposes or insight into metabolic dysfunction.

BTW, I think it's unhelpful for the medical community to state that 37.0 is normal body temperature when it's expected to vary .5 C during the day.

pamojja

I read that for healthy people, body temperature varies up to .5C through the 24-hr cycle. Mine seems to vary .7C between early morning (36.2, oral) and evening (36.9).

Only heard of an other kind of temperature variation, by testing 3 times each day at the same times at fixed intervals of 3 hours for some weeks, and calculating the average variation between all days tested. Something above 0.2°C would mean difficulties of the adrenals.

Basal metabolic rate is important for maintaining body temperature. Some deficiencies that reduce it can cause problems with maintaining body temperature.

Wishful

Hmmm, I don't think I have a problem maintaining body temperature. I think the issue is that my body's thermostat is set lower than what is listed as 'normal'. I don't get chilled easily, and prefer a room temperature (12C) way below what others do. I was wondering whether ME/CFS victims tend to have a different setting or variation than healthy people.

Seven7

Seven
I think the issue is that my body's thermostat is set lower than what is listed as 'normal'.
I was always that way, and is known on Hypothyroidism, My THS was normal but my t3 was not, so I was always undiagnosed until they did the separate test (t3, rt3, t4..), but people kept telling me you are hypo (in school we took it at the lab messing around) so it ended up they were right all along, and the doctors kept testing me wrong (THS only).