• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increase in artificial scents sensitivity - anyone else?

lenora

I'm sure that you're 100% right @Tammy that you neighbor isn't being helped by perfuming each room of her home.

I wonder why people don't think of that problem? It's true that there is an odor to everything today and, personally, it puts me off. I don't even wear perfumes and I will say that people in general tend to wear less scent than they used to. So perhaps we're not the only ones affected. Hope so. Yours, Lenora

L'engle

moogle
I've been thinking about it, and I can't recall encountering any strong scents in the past few years. My sense of smell seems normal, but when I visit town, I don't notice any perfume or cologne or laundry scents. I do recall a woman wearing strong perfume, but that was one incident many years ago. Maybe people in small towns use less scents, and are more accepting of normal body odours? If someone isn't expecting to encounter people during the day, why bother with perfume, makeup, etc?

I suspect it is worse for our American friends than it is here. I find the scent of dryer sheets unbearable but there is a general culture of highly scented products being less acceptable in public, at least where I live.

belize44

I had to go to a lab to get a blood test. So as soon as I entered the vestibule of the building, I was hit with a wall of artificial scent. It was so thick that I felt suffocated. The fact that this little entry way was enclosed by two outside doors and then with two more to enter the waiting room, meant that the odor was sealed in that space and couldn't dissipate. When I entered the waiting room, the smell was there as well.

I arrived home reeking of this smell and had to take everything off and throw it in the washer. This addiction to scent that is going on today is ridiculous.

lenora

Yes, @belize44, I agree. Of course I'm old enough to remember when everything was unscented. However, I do believe the rise in allergies today is a direct result of what you're referring to.

I have allergies that are non-stop, it seems. Something like you're describing would be unbearable for me. Funny, the only scents I can stand are the ones from long ago. Try finding unscented candles today...well, except for those made with beeswax.

Actually, everyone in our family comments on them....negatively, I may add. So, yes, it is a problem and complaining about it is the only thing to do. Yours, Lenora

perchance dreamer

In my city, many building now have scented cleaning products that permeate the entire building so that even if an office is not using a scented candle or incense, there's still a smell.

A common belief is that people with fragrance sensitivities can tolerate essential oils. Well, I can't. Any essential oil, including lavender, gives me the same symptoms as artificial fragrances.

belize44

It won't help outside the home, but this has been a lifesaver for us inside:
https://airdoctorpro.com/?c=brandx&affid=353&oid=22&sub1=184088795&sub2=280
We have an air purifier here. But it is still a shame when what is supposed to fresh air is tainted before you can breath it.

The other night we had the windows open, and a fan pulling fresh air all through the house. suddenly the house filled up with the smell of a skunk, and we had to shut the windows and put on the air purifier!

belize44

I just had to comment that over time, I got rather used to the smell of ambient skunk...and grew rather fond of it. Living rurally.

Not the direct skunk hit. (I had to drive home once, after a direct hit to the dog, with every window open on the car, I could hardly see to drive...it was SO INTENSE.)
I do find a faint smell of skunk not bothersome at all, but that blast that swept through the house was intense, indeed! And I would rather smell skunk than synthetic stuff any day.

belize44

I find the scent of vanilla only appealing in edible things. I really dislike it in hygiene products.