• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In mice, garlic's effect on the gut also affects the brain.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
The gut is in a complicated relationship with the brain. The dynamic goes both ways: A troubled gastrointestinal system sends distress signals to the brain, and a bothered brain sends similar signals to the gut. On Monday, at the 2019 Experimental Biology meeting in Orlando, scientists gave a glimpse of what happens to the brain when gut health declines — and presented a delicious intervention that may help prevent that decline from happening.

With the results of a mouse study, scientists from the University of Louisville make a compelling case for the consumption of garlic. This pungent member of the onion genus Allium contains a compound called allyl sulfide, which, as these scientists discovered, helps keep gut microorganisms healthy — which in turn keeps cognitive health robust.
https://www.inverse.com/article/54665-gut-brain-health-memory-garlic

Anyone find regular garlic intake helps ME cognitive or gut symptoms?

Wishful

Garlic didn't provide any noticeable benefits for me. Onions also have allicin (garlic has only slightly more), but they didn't provide noticeable benefits either, and at one time made my ME symptoms worse. I've never had gut symptoms from ME.

Rufous McKinney

interesting......

Garlic is something I only eat cooked, because raw garlic is too heating internally and therefore I've been advised by my chinese herbalist to avoid raw garlic and onion.

in our household, my husband serves as the person who consumes very large amounts of raw garlic often. And I don't. It doesn't seem to be sparing him from cognitive senior moments.

Alvin2

Garlic didn't provide any noticeable benefits for me. Onions also have allicin (garlic has only slightly more), but they didn't provide noticeable benefits either, and at one time made my ME symptoms worse. I've never had gut symptoms from ME.
I have some gut symptoms but nothing like some of the severe ones other members have reported.
I've taken strong allicin pills that improve my ME symptoms, but unfortunately in high enough doses also tend to give me acid reflux because of how harsh they are on my stomach. Haven't found a happy medium.
That is interesting. I wonder why it does something.
I have not found it to make any difference but then again i have not taken it in a standard dose each day.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I wonder why it does something.
Garlic, along with onions and shallots, increases glutathione, which might have some bearing on its benefits.

Hydrogen sulfide is a signaling transmitter, has also been shown to be involved in the regulation of inflammation. Recent studies have shown that sulfur-containing compounds from garlic have beneficial effects in attenuating outcomes associated with cardiovascular disease and inflammation by a mechanism that may be related to the H2S signaling pathway ....

pattismith

I took massive dose of strong garlic capsules yesterday and felt great in the evening,
however, I spent a bad night with nausea.
My night sleep is always fine, so I guess I can't tolerate too much Garlic.

The dosage recommanded on the bottle is 2 caps a day, and I took 8...:woot:

Each caps contains 142 mg garlic extrac ( 1025 µg vinyldithiines + sulfides)

linusbert

I've taken strong allicin pills that improve my ME symptoms, but unfortunately in high enough doses also tend to give me acid reflux because of how harsh they are on my stomach. Haven't found a happy medium.
i am now on Allimax(c) droplets. they claim theirs is stabilized and wont hurt the stomach. but it sure smells like hell of garlic.
no experience yet, started today.

Rufous McKinney

Anyone find regular garlic intake helps ME cognitive or gut symptoms?

I"m using AGED BLACK GARLIC intermittently

its fermented.

The taste is delicious: is very very mild and sweet. Does not elicit the intense Garlic thing a raw clove would deliver. I do not believe it would bother most stomachs. I just eat a few cloves with food sometimes.

You can go look up benefits of aged black garlic.

Alvin2

its fermented.

The taste is delicious: is very very mild and sweet. Does not elicit the intense Garlic thing a raw clove would deliver. I do not believe it would bother most stomachs. I just eat a few cloves with food sometimes.

Stomach wise i have no issues eating any form of garlic, all food makes me identically nauseous :grumpy:
Its more of i need something to work for my failing cognition.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3

its fermented.

I looked on youtube. If it's the same stuff, Dr Berg (I think) said it's not really fermented but cooked for a very long time. Some instructions there say 7 days; one guy said 14 but I think he actually went 16. Idk.

Anyway, the makers of Allithiamine made their product from garlic. I keep hearing that they did that because garlic crushed has high levels of thiamine. ??

Maybe turning it into aged black does that too. ??

(Also there may have been some who made it with vinegar on youtube but I can't do vinegar so skipped those videos so maybe your version really is fermented. :))

Last edited:

xploit316

its fermented.

@Rufous McKinney I tried Black garlic for the 1st time today and its delicious and had no reactions to it like I do with regular garlic. Did you notice any health benefits from eating Black garlic?

Rufous McKinney

Did you notice any health benefits from eating Black garlic?

its delicious.

I think it helped sort of wake up my immune system some. I am not consuming it regularly; erratically is more like it. Like right now I am being reminded: take some more of that.

Because I have alot of autoimmune issues, I tend to avoid immune stimulation. However, I have a lymphoma diagnosis and should be asking my body to go Fight THAT.

I am one of those people who is not consistent. I don't swallow pills well, don't want to drink any water, I just don't like pills. I also hate the subjective nature of observing results.

I'm also bad at tests. (now, long ago I liked tests). I am not good consistently trying something and controlling variables. Plus I've been crashed for months now, due to stress and my daughter and grand baby here.

but I can't do vinegar

my mouth does not like vinegar...(its often swollen and sensitive, so vinegar is triggering)

xploit316

Because I have alot of autoimmune issues, I tend to avoid immune stimulation
Spot on. I have the same, anything that supposedly improves metabolism/immune system tends to make my symptoms worse. For me its mostly certain types of fiber, sugar, heat, rigorous exercise. Even too much water can bring symptoms.

Rufous McKinney

I had some blood work recently and exhibited low Ig A and Ig G (in the normal range but at the bottom)...

wonder what these things mean?