• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Nicola Schmid

Countrygirl

https://nicolaschmid.wordpress.com/23-01-2018/

himmel.jpg

03rd February 2018

Nicola was buried on Saturday, February 3 in the closest family and friends in her hometown in the Allgäu. We would like to thank all those who supported and accompanied Nicola on her last journey.

anzeige.png

Pray, laugh, think of me.

Pray for me, so that my name will be spoken in the house, as it always was,

without any particular emphasis, without the trace of a shadow.

Life's meaning is what it has always been.

The string is not cut through.

Why should not I be in your thoughts anymore,

just because I'm no longer in your field of vision?

I'm not far away, just on the other side of the road.

(after Charles Péguy)

Countrygirl

A well-known immunologist from Munich reacted to the news of Nicolas's death, inter alia, with the words: "I can only ask for forgiveness from doctors, that this disease receives too little recognition and commitment."

This is a quote we can run with when advocating and raising awareness.

Thank you, Nicola!

We are so very sad to lose yet another of our community.

So terrible for her loved ones!

She must be placed on our memorial page.

perrier

Thank you for posting. Thank you. Rest In Peace dear Nicola, far away from pain and torment.

This is all horrific. Several times a week we hear if another young person passing due to this scourge. Where are the powers that be? Do they not hear this?

perrier

I just read Nicola's poetry; it's wonderful. I also read her final note. I am very moved by her words but terribly unsettled about what is happening to all these young people.

Wonkmonk

Just saw the news. This is so sad. A great loss for the community, especially in Germany.

When reading her story, one question came to my mind, and I hope it's not inappropriate to ask: Does anyone know what the cause of death was or was it CFS/ME? I always thought CFS/ME could never be deadly, especially at a young age and her medical history doesn't mention any disease other than CFS/ME.

maybe some day

Its my understanding that cfids itself isnt terminal. However the complications it creates can be. Its a touchy subject when one reads this partucular forum. Its like on one hand you want to know, and on the other you dont