• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Imperial college study fatal flaws

G

Gerwyn

The aim of the study was to find out if XMRV existed in uk cfs patients thus this is replication not validation----using a different protocol is thus a huge departure from scientific protocol

they decided that a sample from one clinic was represetative of all patients in the uk without any evidence whatsoever knowing they used a unique diagnostic tool They then concluded that they were also representative of patients in the USA and Australia again with no cited evidence but based on subjective opinion and knowing that the WPI patients were assessed using different criterea That is some Science!

They implied that their patients had severe cfs like those in the WPI study because they were also"Markedly unwell" but were actually fit enough to take part in studies for neuroendocrine function---Severe CFS patients usually cant even attend clinics let alone partake in studies of this kind!

"The specificity of their PCR method was determined using DNA from LNcAP cells" XMRV CANNOT REPLICATE IN THESE CELLS

AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MEDICINE J VIROL APRIL 2009---EMILY C NOUF ET AL----Why choose DNA from cells that XMRV cant replicate in despite 24 hours exposure can XMRV cDNA bind with LNcAP cells------the answer is almost certainly no!

The second PCR amplification round contained identical base sequences to the first round----This gives fuzzy results at best----again a well known fact

The study only actually reported results from 8 patients who were apparently representative of their findings!

To "check for XMRV varients" they used PCR to amplify a sequence"conserved by MOST MLV viruses"

TWO POINTS

THIS IS HARDLY LIKELY TO DETECT XMRV VARIENTS as the sequence is not specific to XMRV at all

Obviously their original XMRV clone ,by their own tacit admission here, did not contain any sequences unique to XMRV otherwise they would not have needed this test

interestingly no study using this clone has been able to locate XMRV!

T

thefreeprisoner

Wheeee! Go Gerwyn!!
This post made me so happy!

Any other scientists here care to comment? I wish I knew more about this stuff but all I have is a B in Higher Biology from when I was 16...

-Rachel xx

K

Katie

I think you should post this on the PLoS ONE page but without the capitals (shouting). Nice analysis, it'll be something we can all go in with when we next see our doctors etc. Nice work Gerwyn.

Navid

Great explanation and anlaysis....WPI has a facebook page too...I wish you would post it there and/or send it to wpi.org

thanks for your smarts.

warmest regards, lisag

G

Gerwyn

Great explanation and anlaysis....WPI has a facebook page too...I wish you would post it there and/or send it to wpi.org

thanks for your smarts.

warmest regards, lisag

I,m quite willing to I just dont know how I,m still learning how to use the forum----iIcan attach e mails but I,ve never been on facebook I dont know how to transfer the post to anywhere else!

Navid

Re: Facebook

I,m quite willing to I just dont know how I,m still learning how to use the forum----iIcan attach e mails but I,ve never been on facebook I dont know how to transfer the post to anywhere else!

I'm not 100% sure but try this: copy your post from here...use copy function on your pc...then go to wpi facebook page and paste into status or comment field. if you don't know how to copy on your computer you could retype it...but that's laborious.

oh...never been on FB...just type in facebook.com, then search for whittemore peterson...theres' a search function in top right corner of FB screen.

if you can't figure it out i can post if for you on FB and credit you as author....unless you prefer not to be id'd.

try it and let me know if you need help.

thanks, lisa

G

Gerwyn

Yes please i,m quite happy to be I,d I,ve just told my kids that I,m going on Facebook and they have collapsed in fits of laughter----So Your assistance would be gratefully appreciated .I can do some remarkable things with a computer unfortunately none of them good!