• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks & XMRV?

SunnyGal

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I hope he's doing well. My brother had Hodgkin's and is considered cure. I have wondered if Hodgkin's lymphoma could be connected to XMRV as well.

Seems to be something in my family, starting with my parents' generation. My Dad has prostate cancer (I recall clearly that my mother was freaked out because they had told them it was an aggressive cancer but now that I've told her the connection to XMRV and aggressive prostate cancers she says his can't be that aggressive because he's still doing well 6 years after diagnosis... she is BIG into denial), and my mother has CFS symptoms although not officially diagnosed. My Dad's only sister had breast cancer.

Then in my generation, of course, I have CFS and XMRV. My brother had Hodgkin's, and my sister has related issues (infections, fatigue, cognitive stuff, gut issue). Previous generations on both sides of my family had none of these issues and mostly lived to be 98 to 101 years old.

Sunny

It's my understanding that Henrietta had a very aggressive strain of human papilloma virus, which is known to cause cervical cancer.

I read half of the book and loved it, but then had to return it to the library. I have it on hold again.

My son has recently been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. I am wondering if I have XMRV and if he does too......

FernRhizome

Ahimsa:
Wow, that's very cool you got to the reading!!! I am about halfway through the book at the moment. I bet it was fun to hear Skloot read it aloud herself and neat that her Dad was there too! ~Fern