• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ila Singh talks XMRV, replication, drugs, and animal studies (article + video)

cfs since 1998

Do you think XMRV has been proven to cause CFS? I don't and will 'police' comments that I believe are false. You are welcome to do the same. If you disagree with what I said, please comment on the point, and not attack me personally.

"Disrepecting scientific rules" sounds like a personal attack to me. Why is it okay for you to dole them out, and insult people, but it is not okay for people to defend themselves from your abuse?

Jody

cfs since 1998,

Disrespecting scientific rules is by definition not personal.

Your post that I responded to was not defending yourself from anyone's abuse. You were making personal insults.

cfs since 1998

Ila Singh did not say XMRV causes cancer or CFS, only that it "can". Maybe she meant "can" as in "may" not "can" as in "does". Maybe she chose her words differently than we would have, she is from India after all. Calling someone disrespectful of science because of a single ambiguous word seems like a pointless personal criticism to me.

Jody

cfs since 1998,

Ila Singh is not a member of these boards, and I am not responsible for her well-being. I am here for members of these forums.

I got a report from someone -- not Kurt, not a mod or administrator -- about your post. I checked it out and agreed with them that it was inappropriate. I let you know this.

I have no feelings one way or the other about the topic of this thread. If I did, it wouldn't matter. I don't insist that people must agree with me in a debate. I respect that they have a right to their opinion. As you do. As Kurt does.

So Kurt's opinion differs from yours. Let it go.

In summary. Stop insulting and criticizing members of the forums.

Adam

That statement worries me, there is no substantiation for that comment in published research. Either she knows something unpublished that the rest of us do not, or she does not respect the rules governing making factual statements in science.

Scientist. Not PR front person. Slip of tongue or expressing what is patently clear but not proven. Does it matter that much right now? I doubt it.

I have an amusing little story to share about facts. Stuff that is not proven but obvious. Not today.

Worries me? Respect?

Ask KCL about respect. Geez. Annoying. Truly pointless post. Guaranteed to wind folk up.

Well done. Spoilt a great day for me. Sons 16th birthday. Wish I hadn't come on here and read this.

Nit picking. Annoying. Serves no real genuine purpose. Does not further discussion. Why bother?

kurt

Ila Singh did not say XMRV causes cancer or CFS, only that it "can". She is from India and probably she just doesn't speak English like we do. Calling someone disrespectful of science because of a single minced word sounds personal to me.

What I said was that she either knows something unpublished, or does not respect the rules of scientific discussion. I did not call her disrespectful of science. I am not trying to insult Singh in any way. I doubt this is a language difficulty, and think she knew what she was saying, but you have a point about her being from India. She may not know what is or is not acceptable to say in public in the US about a new scientific finding like this. Or maybe it was just a slip of the tongue. But it was SAID and it is out there now in the public record.

Just so you know, this was reported on a local TV station and my family saw that report last night. So this is not a theoretical discussion for me, it is personal. Now my own family members (extended) may be thinking that a cure for my CFS is just around the corner.

OK, I agree with the others and will let this go. I think we all know each other's opinions.

cfs since 1998

Scientist. Not PR front person. Slip of tongue or expressing what is patently clear but not proven. Does it matter that much right now? I doubt it.

I have an amusing little story to share about facts. Stuff that is not proven but obvious. Not today.

Worries me? Respect?

Ask KCL about respect. Geez. Annoying. Truly pointless post. Guaranteed to wind folk up.

Well done. Spoilt a great day for me. Sons 16th birthday. Wish I hadn't come on here and read this.

Nit picking. Annoying. Serves no real genuine purpose. Does not further discussion. Why bother?

Well said!

Otis

Señor Mumbler
CBS, i hate that part - the animals being tested on. it dampens my spirits. i want to be so hopeful about all this, but i do wish the animals didn't have to suffer.

Yes, we need to round up a group of non-believing psychologists, they're a lower life form. :horse:

Just kidding, really. :Retro wink:

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
:Retro mad: HEY! Stop knocking INDIANS! We speak better English than YOU guys!! :Retro mad:

IndianPride..jpg

jackie

:balloons:Congratulations on your son's 16th Birthday Adam!

That is a wonderful milestone to celebrate for both Father and Son! Please enjoy!

Cheers.....jackie:balloons::balloons:

cfs since 1998

:Retro mad: HEY! Stop knocking INDIANS! We speak better English than YOU guys!! :Retro mad:
Are you being sarcastic or are you really offended? :confused: Nobody's knocking Indians. But Indian English is not the same as American English, just like British English is different from American English, etc.

Who knows how the interview was edited. She could have said "That's our hypothesis." after that sentence.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You

Kurt:
She may not know what is or is not acceptable to say in public in the US about a new scientific finding like this.
Ah, yes, because she is an INDIAN scientist.

But it's all good, Kurt! :D

Here, have a samosa:

samosa..jpg

kurt

]Ah, yes, because she is an INDIAN scientist.
But it's all good, Kurt! :D

I was referring to cultural differences, not her credibility as a scientist. Anyway, good point, there probably IS no valid explanation for her comment. Maybe it was a bad edit as CFS suggested, or a mis-statement. I looked at several other articles quoting Singh and everywhere else she has been more cautious, saying things like 'if XMRV is proven to be a cause of CFS'. But people here took her interview statement that XMRV can cause CFS to have more meaning than that.

Thanks for the samosa. :tongue:

serenity

ummm Samosa... can i have one please?
guys, this thread made my day & now it doesn't. let's please all just get along :)

Adam

XMRV causes CFS? - Short story (True)

In another life. Well, twenty four years ago to be precise, I had a wife and a dog and I came home from work.

True.

I forgot to say. In full, this is a sad story. I wont do full Ill do short instead.

I have a different wife now. And a different dog. Which isnt the sad bit. The sad bit came later. But I wont go into that, like I said, because sad stories are not much fun. They are sad.

So I will skip the sad bits. And do the fun bits instead. The important stuff; the only stuff you are left with when finalising a short story.

The important stuff here is the stuff that relates to XMRV being the cause of CFS.

No sad bits. I promise.

Back to 1986. I come home from work.

I already know by now the writing is on the wall. I can read. Wife and me made a big mistake. What is commonly called getting married...too young I should add. And alsoto the wrong person.

Anyway, forget about wife and concentrate instead on me coming home from work. To dog.

Wife is not home. Has cleared off to Mums. Left me a note. And the dog. And my tea.

My tea is steak (I am vegetarian now - have been for 20 years - which is besides the point - but it adds colour to the story).

No sad stuff like I said.

No wife at home either. Me come home. Dog already at home.

Dog is pleased to see me. Wags tail. Jumps up at me.

Note from wife on worktop informs me I have steak for tea. I will need to cook steak. Steak is on worktop.

Steak is not on worktop.

On floor is dog. Dog is pleased to see me. Dog wags tail. Doglicks lips..

On floor is small plastic bag.

I pick up bag. It smells.

Of meat.

Dog wags tail. Dog smells.

Of meat.

I pat dog.

Good dog.

Wife is guilty?

Questionable.

Dog is guilty?

I know it. You know it. Dog knows it.

I can not prove it. And neither can you, but we both know dog + human free kitchen + steak + enough time to jump up and grab steak = guilty dog.

Smoking gun if ever I saw one.

So, why dont we get behind those who can prove that XMRV is the cause of CFS/ME instead of constantly chivvying away at them? Nit picking. Pouring over every last word they utter.

Those who fancy picking at a bone (no pun intended - it was not a T-Bone), do it with the psyche lobby and leave the real scientists to get on with real science.

PS Thanks for the birthday wishes for my son. I will show him this thread. I am sure he will appreciate them. We had Italian tonight, not Indian (pass me a samosa DR Yes). Anything but English grub.

Martlet

I'll have a samosa too please, then when I've finished it, I'll echo Jody's comments to please stay on topic and not resort to personal attacks.