• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If you were recovered tomorrow, what would you do

vision blue

A) Drive myself on the highway to the ocean or a mountain and go for a 5 mile hike.

B) Go back to the profession i had before, but tweaking my research agenda a bit to lean towards medical applications. And visit several places to decide where in the whole world I would like to live.

Thanks for asking this question.

vision blue

@Carl
"The cause is NOT viral it is bacterial. Cytokines cause immune dysfunction which can lead to viral activation. Treating viruses doesnt address the underlying condition. "

Can you post the link? Have been recently toying with the evidence that I have a bartonella infection.

Aerose91

A) Drive myself on the highway to the ocean or a mountain and go for a 5 mile hike.

B) Go back to the profession i had before, but tweaking my research agenda a bit to lean towards medical applications. And visit several places to decide where in the whole world I would like to live.

Thanks for asking this question.
Were you involved in medical research before falling ill?

southwestforests

I'd like to make this a two part question. If someone waved a magic wand and you were magically better tomorrow...

A) what's the first thing you would do

B) what would you pursue long term
A) Most likely go in to a state of bewildered shock. After having some health issues all my life and CFS/ME for at least a decade and a half, the psychological shift to being healthy might take a while.
B) My brain goes blank at this concept because pretty much everything I have pursued long term, including various jobs, trade schools, and a college education, has been stopped by some health issue or another.

taniaaust1

I actually do not know what I'd do, I've been ill have long to even know that. I'd have to reevaluate my whole life and see if I still wanted to go back to the things I was doing before I got ill. I got ill right in the middle of my studies for a profession I'd planned to do, so they probably wouldn't even allow me to go back after 19 years (I'd left with an extended leave thing due to illness).

umm maybe first thing I'd do is try to reconnect with people and go on a man hunt lol

Aerose91

I actually do not know what I'd do, I've been ill have long to even know that. I'd have to reevaluate my whole life and see if I still wanted to go back to the things I was doing before I got ill. I got ill right in the middle of my studies for a profession I'd planned to do, so they probably wouldn't even allow me to go back after 19 years (I'd left with an extended leave thing due to illness).

umm maybe first thing I'd do is try to reconnect with people and go on a man hunt lol
I'm at the same point. I realized pretty early in that I wouldn't want to return to fitness/personal training. it sucks though that pretty much everything that drives me has a substantial level of physicality to it

Aerose91

Swim in the ocean and not almost drown . See "be safe" post under General me. Forum
This almost happened to me a few years back. I was on a beach in Santa Cruz and a dog almost got swept into the surf. I got up to run in and get her but I was blacking out and losing all muscle power before even getting to the other side of the beach. Maybe 20 ft or so. Reminders like that are so hard to swallow

This almost happened to me a few years back. I was on a beach in Santa Cruz and a dog almost got swept into the surf. I got up to run in and get her but I was blacking out and losing all muscle power before even getting to the other side of the beach. Maybe 20 ft or so. Reminders like that are so hard to swallow
It definately gets your attention , and once again humbled by this illness.

Aerose91

It definately gets your attention , and once again humbled by this illness.

A similar situation actually happened to me a second time. I was pumping gas in the pouring rain at a gas station around midnight in deep rural Florida and witnessed a terrible car accident. One of the cars hopped the curb and skidded down the street upside down. I was the only one around so I went bolting over there to find a young girl trapped in the upright car. I had her calmed down and told her that I needed to get back to my truck to get my knife and pop the side impact air bags to get her out. She begged me not to leave her but I promised I was coming immediately back- 30 seconds, I just had to get my knife. She reluctantly agreed. I got up to bolt back to my truck across a small parking lot and immediately started feeling my body give out. "No, no, don't do this" I said.
I kept pushing

Then I started to collapse and it felt like my muscles became pumped full of lead. "Don't do this, not now, I have to get to my truck". Then my brain started blacking out. "Shit, no, I have to get her out. I promised her I was coming back".

The next thing I remember, I woke up half face down in a puddle about 20 yards from my truck. I have no idea how long I was out for or if I was even out completely or just lost my memory. I turned around and an ambulance was there and they were pulling the girl out of her car. I checked reports in the local papers for the next several days to make sure nothing was listed about a young girl dying from a car accident and there wasn't anything so I believe she was OK. That's most important but it still kills me that I was never able to go back for her. I promised her I was coming back in 30 seconds and I never came back. Luckily through the chaos no one saw me laid out in the middle of a nearby parking lot. Another moment that just drove this reality home

suevu

A similar situation actually happened to me a second time. I was pumping gas in the pouring rain at a gas station around midnight in deep rural Florida and witnessed a terrible car accident. One of the cars hopped the curb and skidded down the street upside down. I was the only one around so I went bolting over there to find a young girl trapped in the upright car. I had her calmed down and told her that I needed to get back to my truck to get my knife and pop the side impact air bags to get her out. She begged me not to leave her but I promised I was coming immediately back- 30 seconds, I just had to get my knife. She reluctantly agreed. I got up to bolt back to my truck across a small parking lot and immediately started feeling my body give out. "No, no, don't do this" I said.
I kept pushing

Then I started to collapse and it felt like my muscles became pumped full of lead. "Don't do this, not now, I have to get to my truck". Then my brain started blacking out. "Shit, no, I have to get her out. I promised her I was coming back".

The next thing I remember, I woke up half face down in a puddle about 20 yards from my truck. I have no idea how long I was out for or if I was even out completely or just lost my memory. I turned around and an ambulance was there and they were pulling the girl out of her car. I checked reports in the local papers for the next several days to make sure nothing was listed about a young girl dying from a car accident and there wasn't anything so I believe she was OK. That's most important but it still kills me that I was never able to go back for her. I promised her I was coming back in 30 seconds and I never came back. Luckily through the chaos no one saw me laid out in the middle of a nearby parking lot. Another moment that just drove this reality home

I guess you needed help much more than her and no one was helping you.

Stop blaming yourself for others fault. We are sick because the society doesn't give a fuck for our disease, that girl included.

Aerose91

I guess you needed help much more than her and no one was helping you.

Stop blaming yourself for others fault. We are sick because the society doesn't give a fuck for our disease, that girl included.
No no, it's not that girl's fault, she was trapped in her car. I'm glad no one found me, how the hell would I explain why I was like that? Just a crappy expression of this illness again

Stretched

I'd like to make this a two part question. If someone waved a magic wand and you were magically better tomorrow...

A) what's the first thing you would do

B) what would you pursue long term

A. Focus on my Peripheral Neuropathy :&

B. Throw away all my medical research

C. Run off with the ‘belly dancer’... .

Hufsamor

@Aerose91

I'm so sorry you had to experience this:(

I've wondered from time to time, if anything happened, would I be able to help?
Or would my body deceive me?
I can imagine the feeling when your body gave in...and when you woke up...

Luckily, it ended well anyway.
An no way could you have listened to her and stayed with her, when you had the knife in your car. You did the only right thing. Only your body wouldn't play along.

This story touches me more than any story has done for a long time....
To need to help. To want to help. To be able to help. To promise to help.
And then not be able to, after all.