• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If walking is an issue do we use mobility aids ?

Emmarose47

I'm.loathe to say this but my pride seems to be lowering ..
I can't walk more than my house or I crash ...
I can't live my life in my house solely .
Even going to the park I need to walk a little to get to the grass etc .. then if I need the toilet .

I've been churning over in my head the different options ... Wheelchair , mobility scooter , sit down e scooter .
The thing is I live on a hill so really too much risk of the vehicle not making it and me needing to push / walk.

I then thought of a wheelchair someone could push me out for a walk ..
Oh I dunno ...

Thoughts / experience ?

andyguitar

I've been churning over in my head the different options ... Wheelchair , mobility scooter , sit down e scooter .
The thing is I live on a hill so really too much risk of the vehicle not making it and me needing to push / walk.
Those electric buggy/scooter type things can handle hills. Also you can hire them from some mobility shops to see how you get on with it. Could open up a whole new world if you get out and about a bit. Go for it!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm trying to talk myself into using my Mom's rollator if I start walking around the neighborhood.

I still look young-ish so afraid people will think I'm strange yet it would be so nice to have it to sit on when I need to stop and rest.

There are canes with a little seat, and I have wondered if that would in fact be handy.

I've seen those but they look like they would be a bit difficult to sit and balance on even though they have three legs. I'd be concerned about toppling over.

Last edited:

BrightCandle

I was considering an eScooter or eBike given I can't store a mobility scooter but alas they are actually motor vehicles here so it would be against the law without a driving license with the appropriate section and they are only granting that in certain cities, definitely check your local laws on powered mobility aids as some may not be legal or require some sort of assessment.

I can't store a mobility scooter where I live and an eScooter or eBike are against the law so I have no powered assistance options. I don't think a cane is of any use beyond signalling you are a bit disabled as it wont reduce the energy consumption significantly. Someone pushing you in a wheelchair might but hills are going to be hard work for whoever does that and its not going to bring you personal mobility since it will require assistance.

Aspen

@Emmarose47 I hope you find a good option! I love the suggestions of renting something to see if it suits your needs. I’m bedbound right now but improving slowly and steadily. Thankfully I inherited my grandfather’s electric wheelchair, he passed away shortly before I fell ill, and I cannot wait to be well enough to start taking it out. I‘m young(ish) too, but honestly there’s no shame in using a mobility device at all - it means freedom! One of the silver linings of this illness is that I get to face and deconstruct any judgements I have about what health is ‘supposed’ to look like, and I’m game to do it. Sending you lots of good vibes as we’re all on that journey together!

2Cor.12:19

I'm trying to talk myself into using my Mom's rollator if I start walking around the neighborhood.

I still look young-ish so afraid people will think I'm strange yet it would be so nice to have it to sit on when I need to stop and rest.

@Judee Although for now I only use a cane because I rarely go out for very long, my dr signed for a handicapped parking license and offered to write a script for a scooter. At first I was concerned about using the handicapped parking spaces when I wasn’t in a wheelchair. I’d read awful stories about people getting harassed who didn’t “look” handicapped or weren’t in a wheelchair.

But I’ve found the opposite to be true. Just even using a cane in the store (for very brief trips) people are nicer to me now.

I think we all worry way too much about what others think.

Wishful

I was considering an eScooter or eBike given I can't store a mobility scooter but alas they are actually motor vehicles here

I was going to suggest finding out whether a Segway would work on hills, but they're illegal on sidewalks in the UK, so probably elsewhere too. It's at least easier to store. BTW, it took me several minutes to remember the name of that silly gadget; so much for what was supposed to change the world. :rolleyes:

Are electric skateboards legal there? I'm sure someone somewhere has built one that can climb hills. Probably harder to do that with skates. Just trying to think out of the box here.

I suppose you're not wealthy enough to have a powered exoskeleton build for you. I'm picturing a traffic cop trying to figure out whether it's covered by any regulations. ;)

Wishful

I know I'd view that image as 'someone with a disability', but that's after becoming an ME victim. I suppose some 'always been healthy' people can't understand invisible illnesses.

Emmarose47

Those electric buggy/scooter type things can handle hills. Also you can hire them from some mobility shops to see how you get on with it. Could open up a whole new world if you get out and about a bit. Go for it!
Andy guitar I want to really thank you for your encouragement. The words it could open up a whole new world have been sticking with me ..
I have a women bringing a mobility scooter round tomor and she is going to help me test drive it ..

Emmarose47

@Emmarose47 I hope you find a good option! I love the suggestions of renting something to see if it suits your needs. I’m bedbound right now but improving slowly and steadily. Thankfully I inherited my grandfather’s electric wheelchair, he passed away shortly before I fell ill, and I cannot wait to be well enough to start taking it out. I‘m young(ish) too, but honestly there’s no shame in using a mobility device at all - it means freedom! One of the silver linings of this illness is that I get to face and deconstruct any judgements I have about what health is ‘supposed’ to look like, and I’m game to do it. Sending you lots of good vibes as we’re all on that journey together!
Good to hear you Aspen
Best wishes for your recovery good you are improving .
This thread has helped me a lot and tomor I am test driving a scooter ...
I like what you say about deconstructing judgements it's so true ...
If I could use a mobilty aid and get out in the community a bit I know it will really help my mood .. being housebound is the hardest thing I've ever done

Emmarose47

Thank you all this thread it has really been so helpful ..
I found a scooter for sale and it's a sports version which somehow makes it more palatable. The women who is selling it is v kind and she is bringing it round for a trial tomor so I can see if it can take the hill ..

If it works out and I can go out and I'm not getting PEM this really could make a difference . My mood has really been suffering and being able to get out could make such a difference I think

Sledgehammer

I'm.loathe to say this but my pride seems to be lowering ..
I can't walk more than my house or I crash ...
I can't live my life in my house solely .
Even going to the park I need to walk a little to get to the grass etc .. then if I need the toilet .

I then thought of a wheelchair someone could push me out for a walk ..
Oh I dunno ...

Thoughts / experience ?

Are Ginger scooters in your town at all?
We have them here but I haven't used one since the teens have made most use of them.

https://www.ginger.town/