• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If caffeine makes me tired, should I avoid chocolate (and theobromine)?

Bansaw

Caffeine has always had a curious effect on me.
I feel energized for about 1 minute then a serious fatigue comes over me after 1 minute, mental and physical.
One while waiting to pick someone up at the airport, I had a cup of coffee at 7pm and couldn't sleep until 4am.

I avoid coffee whenever possible.
However, I do have 100% chocolate sometimes (I am on Keto and this chocolate is an allowed snack). I read somewhere that dark chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine.

Is it possible that theobromine can cause fatigue ? I read somewhere that its the cousin of caffeine but is a vaso-dialateor rather than constrictor.

Last edited:

BeADocToGoTo1

Have you checked to see what your blood glucose level does before and after the coffee? Some people get spikes and subsequent dips because of the way it can raise hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol. These hormone impacts may also be what you feel.

Pearshaped

when I came down with ME coffee had a pretty nasty effect on me usually an hour after drinking it and it lasted for one to two days.It was nightmare-ish.
At that time I couldn't tolerate chocolate or cacao at all so, like you, I guess theobromine and theophylline must have similar effects.
So if I were you I'd be careful since therse things could exhaust your
System further.
You could try carob,but this has some carbs.

Bansaw

when I came down with ME coffee had a pretty nasty effect on me usually an hour after drinking it and it lasted for one to two days.It was nightmare-ish.
At that time I couldn't tolerate chocolate or cacao at all so, like you, I guess theobromine and theophylline must have similar effects.
So if I were you I'd be careful since therse things could exhaust your
System further.
You could try carob,but this has some carbs.
Thanks... I am cutting it out for a while to see that the effects are. There is something I think to do with serotonin (I think) and coffee and me that really is debilitating. The only thing that has increased my mental acuity was Acetly-L-Carnitine. And after a while those effects wore off as my body got habituated.
Sad with cutting out the chocolate since this was my 'treat' on the Keto diet. : (

Pearshaped

I can relate,I was replacing chocolate for about two years with a certain kind of nutbutter(Apricot seed nut butter)it has 6 total carbs per 100g.It tastes similar to hazelnut butter but is definetely sweeter and keto friendly.
I still can't tolerate even decaf coffee but interestingly, eating chocolate is possible now.So there's hope. :)