• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ideal HGH levels on a blood test

Peyt

Hi,
Does anyone know what is the ideal levels for HGH on a blood Plasma test?
On the test results I received it says standard range for HGH is 0-10 ... and even though my HGH is <0.1 mg/nl it still is not flagged because it could be as low as 0 and still okay!!...... how can having 0 HGH be in the standard range? Is blood not a good way to test for HGH?

Last edited:

junkcrap50

HGH is very difficult to get an accurate reading for. Not only is the blood test itself not accurate. But HGH levels fluctuate widely so often throughout the day.

The best way to test for HGH is to do an insulin- or glucagon-stimulation test. However, they must be done in hospital as they can be dangerous and drop your blood sugar very, very low. This is not a common test and hard to find a doctor who will prescribe it, as insurance is unlikely to pay for it otherwise. You likely need a endrocrinologist who regularly orders this test. This test is even more rare for adults, as is mostly used in pediatric endocrine cases.

There are some indirect measures of HGH like IGF-1, but I don't know much about them or how to interpret them.

Peyt

HGH is very difficult to get an accurate reading for. Not only is the blood test itself not accurate. But HGH levels fluctuate widely so often throughout the day.

The best way to test for HGH is to do an insulin- or glucagon-stimulation test. However, they must be done in hospital as they can be dangerous and drop your blood sugar very, very low. This is not a common test and hard to find a doctor who will prescribe it, as insurance is unlikely to pay for it otherwise. You likely need a endrocrinologist who regularly orders this test. This test is even more rare for adults, as is mostly used in pediatric endocrine cases.

There are some indirect measures of HGH like IGF-1, but I don't know much about them or how to interpret them.
Thank you for your response,
Yes I also see the IGF-1 which mine was 160 and Standard Range is 67-205 ng/ml , so I think I am okay there.

Likaloha

I had that stimulation test twice and all I remember is that my hubby said it almost killed me..I had to go to another state to go d a hospital that would do it....I finally flunked tests, at that time I was 43 but had the hgh level of an 82 year old....My endocrinologist died and am waiting for appointment with a new one...My last blood test out me at about 108 years old on my hgh level...I can get medications free from company that makes it when I can get paperwork filled out from New endocrinologist......Please be careful if you are required to take stimulation test!