• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ideal computer setup in bed

pamojja

definitely off topic.
Yes and no. With this setup hardware isn't more sustainable only, but as lightweight or even more so (with PCstick) as any other mentioned hardware. As said, cables can be completely left out. So same posturing aids can be used with less strain on them.

hmnr asg

Yes and no. With this setup hardware isn't only more sustainable, but as lightweight or even more so as any other mentioned hardware. So same posturing aids can be used with less strain on them.
Ops sorry I just deleted my post, but I guess yours included my main objection.

When it comes to flexibility I found that you can just have a Microsoft surface pro or an iPad pro held by one of those tablet holders and then use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on your laptop. But that's just my preference.

But thanks for your post, the more ideas the better, people can choose what works for them.

Last edited:

pamojja

you can just have a Microsoft surface pro or an iPad pro held by one of those tablet holders and then use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on your laptop.
I used a first notebook 20 years ago, not a really cheap one, but battery failed after 4 years, not replaceable. Next an expensive Ultrabook, same with battery, touch display, and failing period. Next a netbook, battery, touch-display, and key one by one failing too. Last, a Surface-like tablet, with replaceable keyport. Crtl key hanging. Considered irreparable by customer support again, and given new price back in exchange. Android tablet's battery is starting to fail after 3 years too now.

I'm simply fed up with such wastes of resources and money of having to trash a complete computer because of perferals. Just saw a tech video of how difficult it is made by the manufacturer to repair even more expensive iPAD or surface pros. Besides, many of us don't have a budget for. I'm glad for you if you do.

Ps when it comes to flexibility
That is my main point. Flat rent went astronomical here. Therefore, I'm building an ultralight-weight tiny house, to be moved by a cargo bike. Which isn't easy with my still low energy envelope (max. of 4 hours daily manual work) or cheap itself. But with lack of having to pay such horrendous rent, amortized in 2 years only. Where sustainable heating and electricity suddenly is an important factor to consider too. Beside sustainability, environmentally friendliness, low energy-footprint, and budget-wise - overall. Already in my flat with solar-panels on the balcony my energy-bill is negligible now.

I therefore think, considering all factors involved with an ideal computer-setup in bed, might help others to decide make choices with less financial repercussions. Very pertinent to ME/CFS patients, some with no financial resources at all.

Dysfunkion

My setup is alright but the problem with me is how unique it is. Because of the way I need to sit I can't use a typical office chair but a very specific bar chair with a high indented back, very wide cushion for sitting up cross legged on, and it needs to be at the height of my keyboard. Right now the thing is barely holding together and I need another one but haven't found an affordable replacement yet. I don't think a floor set up in this room I have here is a good idea because of space problems.

I also need to build my own PC's because there is nothing I can buy prebuilt that suits my needs unless the very desperate option of a prebuilt repurposed machine on Ebay that will at least work in the mean time if this current PC ever fails and I'd need to install a new OS on it anyways when I get it because it would be running the normal, not lightweight MATE version of Linux Mint I need so I can stand the consistent background CPU radiation from it. I also don't know if it has wifi on board that is always transmitting even if nothing is connected which if it does I can't use it anyways cause I'll get sick. There is currently one board left for the current processor I'm looking at that does not come with wifi on it and that is worrying. On top of spending the money for all the parts because I can't handle building it myself right now I need to pay somewhere around here to build it for me adding another 100-200 dollars to the bill. I am not looking forward to buying it all but I don't have a choice or I'm not going to have any devices but my phone that I can't use all the time. I really wish it was 2016 again because technology is getting increasingly more hostile towards the EMF sensitive and no one is considering our existence. In fact I'm pretty sure the only no wifi Intel board is just that way because they cut as many corners as they possibly could to get the cheapest motherboard possible.

sb4

@Dysfunkion I am forever trying to find the pc setup that doesn't cause me back / shoulder / arm pain. Could you post a link or just a picture to that bar chair setup?

Dysfunkion

@Dysfunkion I am forever trying to find the pc setup that doesn't cause me back / shoulder / arm pain. Could you post a link or just a picture to that bar chair setup?
Excuse how messy and ridiculous it looks, I literally have to put a blanket and pillow in place of the cushion cause of how much it has fallen apart. Basically when I sit on it my middle body where I place my hands on the keyboard is right at the top of the desk so it's perfect for me, depending on how how tall you are it might not be for you. That giant mess over the computer tower is my radiation shield on it. It's embarrassing needing to live like this.

desk - 29 3/4" high
chair seat 22" high
chair height 40 1/2" high from bottom

Attachments

• 20240120_075725.jpg
    20240120_075725.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 14

sb4

@Dysfunkion Thanks for posting that pic for me. I'm still having trouble visualising it though. You sit upright without backrest? Or is the backrest obfuscated by the pillow/blanket?

I can sit without backrest for hours if my posture is right but eventually I feel the need for one.

Dysfunkion

@Dysfunkion Thanks for posting that pic for me. I'm still having trouble visualising it though. You sit upright without backrest? Or is the backrest obfuscated by the pillow/blanket?

I can sit without backrest for hours if my posture is right but eventually I feel the need for one.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't but if I do it's fine because the back rest is indented in the middle and allows me to lay back a little..

Attachments

• 20240120_082818.jpg
    20240120_082818.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 10

sb4

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't but if I do it's fine because the back rest is indented in the middle and allows me to lay back a little..
I see. looks like a decent setup. I find it hard to sit up right unless my knees are lower than my hips. So nothing really is working well so far.

Glad to see this thread as I'm looking at a similar issue myself. I believe with the right set up, I could sit at a desk for a while, but I haven't found that yet. So, I often work from my bed, leaning against the headboard and using a lap desk and my laptop. My neck is a key problem area for me, so I'm displeased by the way I have to look down at my screen, or have the keyboard too high to type on.

I've found a lot of benefit from using a separate keyboard and highly recommend getting the smaller ones without the number pad on the end, because they're lighter, and allow the mouse to be comfortably closer, in my experience. At my desk, I use a sack of books to raise my laptop screen to eye height, though I do have to make text larger to compensate for being farther away.

I'm not quite sure what my next step is. I need to do at least one of the following: make my desk set up more functional, so I actually use it; figure out how to have a screen at eye height and keyboard at elbow height in bed; or test a zero gravity lounge chair set up to iterate on.