• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IBS - the latest psychosomatic condition shown to have a physical cause

wdb

Flatulence, constipation and diarrhea, nausea and stomach cramps: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can turn digestion into a nightmare. Frequent visits to the bathroom are often accompanied by sleep disturbances, headaches, and backaches. In Germany alone, some seven million people are affected by the disorder -- and by the fact that their irritable bowel syndrome is often deemed psychosomatic. This is because the organic trigger of the disease has never been discovered, and consequently the various therapeutic interventions are disappointing for both the patients and their doctors. That may soon change, however, because now, for the first time, biologists in Munich have nailed down hidden physical causes of this bowel disorder.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100819141950.htm

mermaid

Thanks for posting wdb ... have had issues for 40 years or so! I have calmed it all down by a strict exclusion diet which is v healthy , but I think it is so useful to know what is going on biologically - seems to have taken them for ever to find out the causes on this one, and I know there has been a lot of research. Shows that they can get there in the end.

Very interesting, thanks. I wonder what anthistamine they used. In my eyes "psychosomatic cause" is attributed much too often! Science is an exploding universe and it certainly doesn't help to label patients as "psychological ill" while they have an organic disease that is not understood yet because it's easier to label them.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
I found Zantac (Ranitidine) most beneficial for my reflux and IBS. Zantac is a H2 receptor antagonist. I have treated my bloating etc as a histamine issue for years.

Can anyone give a short summary of the difference between H1, H2, H3, H4 antihistamines? I read that an H4 antihistamine reduces inflammation. Has anyone tried it?