• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ibs- d

I was wondering how many people suffer from diarrhoea relating to their cfs. For many years I thought it could be dairy or wheat intolerance and I was also tested for celiac, but the truth is it flares up with the other autonomic symptoms such as the fast heart beat, vertigo or night sweats. In the past it was constant but now I can go for months without an attack, and then, if I overdo things, it will return with bloating and emergency toilet trips which are horrid. Does anyone else get this symptom if they overdo things?

I have had an attack this week, which is expected as I have been doing too much, I had heart issues last weekend with sweating at night, so it has come as no surprise. Can anyone identify with this? I must add too that my muscles twitch more than usual when I get this.

Adam

I became lactose intolerant about 4 years after CFS/ME (viral onset). Even though I stick to a lactose free diet I am still loose and bloated all the time. I weigh about 7 to 10 lbs less than I did pre CFS/ME. I can basically eat and drink anything and not put weight on. My BMI is about 20 and I have only 7% body fat. XMRV is in the gut and may explain IBS even in those not diagnosed with CFS/ME. Time will tell.

Doing too much may well exacerbate XMRV replication and hence your IBS. Again, time will tell.

One thing for sure in UK at present (Google GUT TRUST) the NHS is keen to link IBS to stress. They is a thread on here under SYMPTOMS I started about the Gut Trust. More mind medicine for sick people. I could say LMBO (laugh my bottom off), but IBS as you know, is no laughing matter.

CBS

I was wondering how many people suffer from diarrhoea relating to their cfs. For many years I thought it could be dairy or wheat intolerance and I was also tested for celiac, but the truth is it flares up with the other autonomic symptoms such as the fast heart beat, vertigo or night sweats. In the past it was constant but now I can go for months without an attack, and then, if I overdo things, it will return with bloating and emergency toilet trips which are horrid. Does anyone else get this symptom if they overdo things?

I have had an attack this week, which is expected as I have been doing too much, I had heart issues last weekend with sweating at night, so it has come as no surprise. Can anyone identify with this? I must add too that my muscles twitch more than usual when I get this.

Machair,

Some CFS patients suffer from Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) that develops due to a lack of motility caused by autonomic neural dysfunction (and it is exacerbated along with other autonomic issues). Have you been tested for SIBO (hydrogen breath test or duodenal fluid sample)? SIBO often responds well to Xifaxin (not so much to other antibiotics) and Xifaxin stays in the gut/doesn't cross into the blood stream so the negative impact of antibiotics is limited. Treatment should also include probiotics (which may prolong the time between bouts of SIBO). Your Sx sound very consistent with SIBO.