• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I wouldn't be suprised if this worked for CFS'ers

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/642871.html

TUESDAY, Sept. 7 (HealthDay News) -- A controlled dose of the main ingredient in hallucinogenic mushrooms appears to reduce anxiety and lift spirits in people battling advanced cancer, researchers report.

In fact, the trips tended to be good, with patients and their families reporting improvements up to six months after their single-dose experience with the substance.

I tried "shrooms" once. Two things stood out in my mind. First was how everybody seemed like a comedian and I felt like I was understanding things I had never figured out. Secondly, was how high my alcohol tolerance was. It felt like I could drink unlimited ammouns of alcohol wihtout getting drunk. I'm at the point now where I would probably try them again if I had the opportunity, only if I could have a day of fun and relief.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
The first few times I tried them I felt fantastic. I fell in love. Then, over time like with all things that help in CFS, they stopped having their positive effect, and are actually pretty unpleasant now.

Esther12

I remember looking through some Government drugs advisory booklet and thinking that shrooms sounded like the most suitable narcotic for a CFS patient. They clamped down on sellers now though, and long walks in the country checking cow pats don't sound ideal either.

serenity

can't say i loved the way i felt on them but of course i think i took way too much - we're talking back in my 20's (now i would never dream of taking an illegal drug.)
anyway i wasn't a fan, but hallucinagens were never my thing. i have much stronger reactions to narcotics & benzos, which is why i have to be very careful taking them.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I am already like that normally.
It's easy for me to see people as comedians, and to get lost in daydreams of oneness with the universe, especially when I'm out in nature.

Even the vegetable arrangements at the health food store can be quite entertaining on certain days when my alpha waves are more predominant.

That's the ONE good thing about being sensitive. The hard part is being on the freeway. :eek:

I wasn;t sure what kind of response I would get. What an open minded group!

Kinda makes sense I guess, willing to try anything for a day or two of relief?

Glad to hear you did have some relief Julius.

serenity

yeh it's true - i have found groups who will not discuss illegal drugs, board policy. & i'm fine with that. i'm also fine with the fact that this group will discuss the issue openly. it took me a bit to get used to it, haha! but i am ok with it now :)
(i am a recovering addict, so for me illegal drugs are out of the question. i refused legal drugs for many years, but that is me. i am open to what works for others, but just be careful to be as safe as possible.)

margib

I tried shrooms once in high school & it was awesome (yes, I was already infected). I can see how it would be a natural anti-depressant in small doses, as well, but what if you had a fungal infection--wouldn't you worry about it irritating yeast, etc.? I have some friends who are raw foodists, & they're really into medicinal mushrooms as a natural immune enhancer, too. I like the idea of sticking with nature whenever possible, for anti-depressants to medicine.

An immune enhancer, a narcotic. interesting stuff.

You point about the medicial aspect of mushrooms just tirggered a thought. Maybe they had something to do with stomach health (enzymes/bacteria) or mineral absortion..or..? I think I have a difficult time with absorbing minerals or loosing minerals becuase of my repsonse to the KPU protocol. Maybe connection somewhere? like maybe the mushrooms helped the gut, or had some other beneficial effect.

I guess it could be anything really

leela

I am already like that normally.
It's easy for me to see people as comedians, and to get lost in daydreams of oneness with the universe, especially when I'm out in nature.

Even the vegetable arrangements at the health food store can be quite entertaining on certain days when my alpha waves are more predominant.

That's the ONE good thing about being sensitive. The hard part is being on the freeway. :eek:

you are *adorable*, and have given me my first, most welcome, giggle of the day :tear:

L'engle

moogle
People were taking them at my high school, but one fellow had a bad experience and sort of lost all his mental functioning for a few months. I don't know if he recovered. Something to be careful about, if neurological and brain functioning is in a fragile spot anyway. I guess if pain and depression are bigger problems than cognitive functioning it might be a viable risk. (I wouldn't do it)