• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I need to sleep! Help !!!!!

YippeeKi YOW !!

This stuff (2 capsules every evening, an hour before bed) helps me sleep better than anything I've ever tried.
That's a REALLY interesting post and product. Thanks for this !!!!

I would never have connected a falvinoid with better sleep. This gives me a whole new approach and a lot of pending research. Stellar rec !!!!

Wishful

Apigenin gave me a very slight reduction in my brainfog for the first few weeks, then stopped having any effect. It didn't do anything for my sleep pattern.

If everyone tried every supplement and neutraceutical and herb and spice and fungus, I expect most of these items would have at least one person claiming that they had a noticeable effect. Which means nothing for whether one of them will help a specific individual. However, it does show that it can be worthwhile to try various things, especially if they're cheap, convenient, and lack significant risk of side effects ... and they don't taste awful. FWIW, balsam poplar buds have a somewhat pleasant taste, but are also mouth-burning (luckily there was lots of snow on the ground when I tried it). Didn't do anything for my ME though.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Apigenin gave me a very slight reduction in my brainfog for the first few weeks, then stopped having any effect. It didn't do anything for my sleep pattern.
Yeah, this refers us back to what Ive come to accept as the THREE COMMANDMENTS OF M.E. ....
  1. We're all different, and the basis and expression of our version of M.E. is uniquely ours ...
  2. Just because Substance X helped Patient Y doesn't mean it's going to do fluck-all for anyone else ...
  3. When trying anything new, even relatively benign stuff, START LOW AND GO SLOW until you know how you react to it... and be prepared for its benefits to just .... disappear. No reason. No explanation. It's just the way it is .....

EDIT ... not exactly a typo, left out a whole word .... my uh skills .... seem to be expanding....

Last edited:

Anchoress

Glad I found something simple and available. Started the codeine as the Raynauds in my feet and lower legs keeps me awake... The side effect of sleep was unexpected and welcome,,,

I'll suggest something I wish I had known when my insomnia started. I think anyone struggling with this should go to a good ear/nose/throat doctor to have their nose and sinuses evaluated to rule out a breathing problem. Even if you have sleep disorders that don't seem to be related to breathing, such as restless legs or narcolepsy, if you don't breathe well, you will never sleep well. It's possible to have breathing problems even if you don't seem to have symptoms.

Nothing worked for my sleep until I had nose and sinus problems addressed. Also, I was tested and diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, despite being thin and not snoring. I now control OSA with an oral device.

I wish I could go back in time and take care of these things first before going down so many expensive, time-consuming rabbit holes that didn't help much anyway since my breathing was screwed up. Of course, I'm not saying everyone with insomnia has a breathing problem. It's just important to rule out.
What did they find with your sinuses and what did they do? Did you get an oral appliance for your mouth? What type of doctor did you go for that? Did you get a sleep oximeter they gave you to test you at home? Did all your health problems go away like brain fog, fatigue, muscle pain etc?
Thanks

perchance dreamer

What did they find with your sinuses and what did they do? Did you get an oral appliance for your mouth? What type of doctor did you go for that? Did you get a sleep oximeter they gave you to test you at home? Did all your health problems go away like brain fog, fatigue, muscle pain etc?
Thanks

My sinuses were seriously messed up. I've had 4 or 5 surgeries for nasal swell bodies, deviated septum, swollen turbinates. I also had a sinusplasty and the Vivaer procedure. All these surgeries and procedures took some years to complete.

My ear/nose/throat doctor is also an ENT surgeon. She did all this work on me.

I have had multiple at-home sleep studies showing various amounts of obstructive sleep apnea. The tests include oxygen monitoring.

I wish that addressing my breathing problems made things like brain fog, fatigue, and muscle pain go away entirely! So, no, I still have some remaining problems. But having improved breathing and sinus and nasal function has improved my sleep and made me much more functional. It's a lot easier to get through the day now although I still have problems sometimes.

For people who feel like they have restricted nasal airflow, I wanted to mention something. If it stems from physical obstruction, as opposed to something like allergies, you can get an idea of the location of the nasal airflow restriction and talk to your ENT about it.

Breath Right Nasal strips help a lot of people. The strips stretch the top part of the nose. They never helped me because that wasn't where my restriction was.

Some restrictions stem from the bottom of the nose, the nasal valve area. If you have trouble breathing through your nose, look in the mirror as you inhale. Your nostrils should not collapse with an inhale. If they do, you can talk to your ENT about things like nasal dilators, available over the counter from places like Amazon, or, if it's really severe, an evaluation to see if you are a candidate for the Vivaer procedure, which uses radio frequency to open the nasal valve. It helped my breathing a lot.

What I've learned is that breathing problems and obstructive sleep apnea become more common for people as they get older (thanks so much!).

For anyone with sleep and/or breathing problems, I heartily recommend James Nestor's Breath: The Lost Science of a Lost Art. It helped me understand so much things like the importance of nasal breathing for health, as opposed to mouth breathing. The only doctor who has ever mentioned this subject to me was my ENT. I think the importance of nasal breathing should be part of patient education from dentists, ENTs, and sleep doctors.

Rvanson

I use a benzodiazepine, Xanax, (alprazolam), for sleep only. I also add 15 mg of Mirtazapine as well, so that works, and it works well. I make absolutely NO apologies for using a substance that works for me, as insomnia is torture and is very bad for mental health. Is it addictive? Yes, of course, but so is sleep.

One way that has been used for torture, is keeping a person awake for days or weeks. The FDA can take that and put it where Old Sol doesn't shine. The other medications mentioned here simply do not work for me. I get at least 7-8 hours of great sleep, along with nice dreams, and I do not use it during daylight hours.

I wake up quite fast with no grogginess or "hangover" symptoms at all. No other medication nor OTC medication or vitamin works as well as Xanax has, for many years now. I am on the _same_ dosage, no increase.