I messed up my digestion... Feeling ill and sad

keepswimming

I'm so fed up about this and really need to have a little rant :(

Just a background - I've had IBS for years, long before M.E. I actually had a bad flare due to stress just prior to getting EBV/that leading into M.E. But the last few years it hasn't really bothered me too much, other than loose stools and a bit of stomach ache.

So I decided to try an exclusion diet to check nothing was making my M.E. worse. I cut out legumes/grains/dairy/gluten for about 3 weeks then introduced them one at a time. I didn't feel any better during the diet, and I was fine with reintroducing all of them until I reintroduced gluten. I had bad headache, nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain etc. So I thought, OK, gluten seems to be problematic, and I cut it out.

But ever since then my IBS has been worse. I've been experiencing stuff like acid reflux (a new symptom for me) and nausea regularly. Increased stomach pain and symptoms. Eventually I thought, well this isn't helping so I might as well go back to eating gluten...

I reintroduced a small amount and didn't seem to notice any difference. So I thought I may as well eat what I like... But then two weeks ago I ended up eating a lot more wheat products than I had been... And I got so ill. I felt terrible, fluey and I could see from my heart rate I had massive inflammation in my body, as well as gastro symptoms.

Now I just don't know what to do with myself. I've obviously cut out gluten again. Low fodmap foods seem safest and minimise symptoms, but I am having problems whatever I eat. I'm wondering about the full low fodmap diet plan but on the other hand I'm afraid that as the exclusion diet seems to have triggered all this, whether another exclusion diet will make things even worse again?! If I lose my tolerance to even more foods...??

Or maybe I am just bad with gluten (or perhaps fructans as I am suspicious about onion too??) and the effects of reintroduction have caused a IBS flare which had made me more sensitive to everything else... But how long will it last?? It's weird how I've eaten gluten for years, but after cutting it out I'm getting such a bad reaction to it.

Honestly I'm just fed up. I tried to do something to make me better, and its made everything worse. I'm also anxious the effect all this will have on my M.E. In the long run... :(

(or perhaps fructans as I am suspicious about onion too??)
Onions are almost at the top of the no-no list with IBS. Also garlic. ALso pretty much anything you really enjoy eating, as far as I ca tell :nervous::nervous: :bang-head: ....
It's weird how I've eaten gluten for years, but after cutting it out I'm getting such a bad reaction to it.
This is odd .... when my brain kicks in again, I'll be back ....
I tried to do something to make me better, and its made everything worse.
This is why I stick to the old dictum, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it ...." Which isn't to say that ME doesn't make us all feel pretty fluckin' broken, but at the time you undertook this experiment, you apparently didn't have any hard evidence that a change or restriction in your diet would help ....
I'm also anxious the effect all this will have on my M.E. In the long run... :(
My experience with undertakng ill-advised experiments (and yes, I've done a few) is that if you leave well-enough alone, your ME will reset to previous base. Whether this means gutting thru and adding small amounts of gluten back into your diet, or maintaining a hands-off position gluten-wise, only you can say.

But just know that you haven't screwed yourself unto eternity. You've put a hitch in your git-along that might take a minute to reverse.

Lemme know how it's going, yes?

PS .... I had what I thought was a relatively sudden up-flare of IBS before I found PR, and spent to a lot of time going to extremes to deal with it, all of them wrong. And I'm still here .... pretty much .... most of the time ....

Judee

My best IBS sup is Mycopryl however, that might not work for everyone.

Plus, I can't do gluten either. No digestive issue with it though.

For a time, my Mom and I took a digestive enzyme that was made for gluten issues and it seemed to make it better. I wonder if that would help you now to be able to eat the other things more easily even if you don't add gluten back in.

THIS was the one we used but I see there are other brands like NOW. (The supplements are from different forms of Aspergillis which is a form of mold so I didn't take it that often because mold can affect my sinuses.)

Anyway, just a thought.

Hope you can figure this out and get back to your previous baseline.