• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I just remembered the study that found XMRV!!

VillageLife

BUT does anyone remember this?..........

A German study published in 2010 tested the respiratory tract secretions from 329 individuals, 3 different groups of patients with respiratory tract infection (RTI) and a healthy control group. Samples that were positive by gag-nested PCR were retested by real-time PCR. XMRV was detected in about 10% of patients with transplantation-related immunosuppression, compared to about 2-3% in the other 3 groups. The detected XMRV gag sequences were 98%99% identical to previously published XMRV sequences from prostate cancer patients

ukxmrv

Remember it well. No idea why it doesn't get mentioned very much. Maybe because it isn't trying to tie XMRV to CFS / Prostate cancer and wasn't blood. It was a real mystery as well that some of the authors did a blood test after that (and didn't find XMRV) on PC or CFS (I can't remember).

Jemal

I remember this study, as it supplies some evidence that XMRV might be spread by saliva (as it's found in the respiratory tract). Why is it so relevant for you now?

Overstressed

I remember this one too, it was lead by a German researcher, Prof.Dr. Nicole Fischer. If I'm right, she (in co-operation with others) developed a Micro-array for finding XMRV. This array finds all viruses, even not identified ones. And it works apparently superb, since it DID find even XMRV! ;)

OS.

bullybeef

Wasn't Hohn involved in both this study, and two negatives studies (one since the above),including the CDC study? It seems bizarre that the same researcher involved in three studies, two that would have differing results.

BB

Bob

Germany

Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus–related Gammaretrovirus in Respiratory Tract

Nicole Fischer, Claudia Schulz, Kristin Stieler, Oliver Hohn, Christoph Lange, Christian Drosten, and Martin Aepfelbacher

Author affiliations: University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany (N. Fischer, C. Schulz, K. Stieler, M. Aepfelbacher); Robert Koch-Institute, Berlin, Germany (O. Hohn); Leibniz-Center for Medicine and Biosciences, Borstel, Germany (C. Lange); and University of Bonn Medical Centre, Bonn, Germany (C. Drosten)

XMRV was found in respiratory secretions in 3.2% of healthy control samples (study not carried out on ME patients).
Respiratory samples taken from patients with respiratory tract infection and healthy persons.
http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/16/6/1000.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/16/6/1000-T.htm

"We detected XMRV in respiratory secretions of immunocompetent patients with and without RTI at a frequency of ˜3.2%, which is in good concordance with the recently reported prevalence in the general population of up to 4% [referring to the 3.7% in the Science paper]"

"Our findings indicate that XMRV or virus-infected cells might be carried in and transmitted by the respiratory tract."

"XMRV-specific sequences were detected in 2%–3% of samples from 168 immunocompetent carriers and ˜10% of samples from 161 immunocompromised patients"

Tia

Oo, I've wondered about this. Finally I know. So it really was from a prostate cancer examination..