• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I gotta stop playing the victim card, I think...

Tammy

Playing the victim card means you are using your illness to blame/manipulate or abuse another in some kind of way. @David Jackson I've never got the impression that you have done that.

I feel that maybe that's not really the phrase you intend.

Rufous McKinney

Playing the victim card means you are using your illness to blame/manipulate or abuse another in some kind of way.

Perhaps the issue is more: the story in our heads...the 'another" in the example above is oneself..

Its just the repeated pattern story that could arise...that somehow this "thing" that has occured, leading to 'this"..is something that one feels is not fair, or one feels beleagered; or punished for some karmic mistake; or various other versions of Poor Me....these are thoughts that probably most of us have at some moment or another. Its just a thought/ not something one really has to then permanently own or make "real".

I do occassionally blame myself...for some version of having added exhaustion to the exhausted self. Then tell myself: bad Self. Then, decide to forgive self. Was supposed to have, at all times, deployed a crystal ball, to warn me when I"m making a bad choice...like the choice of caring about the outcome of something.

David Jackson

@Tammy no, that's exactly they way I intend it, haha, I do this all the time!

And I've been starting to think: I don't think I can make as much improvement so long as I'm feeling screwed over by others. As long as I have that general feeling about life, then I think the chemistry that goes on in the body because of those feelings will set me back and make it hard for myself.