• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I am very sure my personal CFS was caused by mold+hormonal deficiencies

nerd

Why do you think it's caused by the thyroid and that the thyroid issues aren't a consequence of something else?

Thyroid issues are not uncommon among CFS/ME patients. I also had abnormal thyroid hormones and antibodies when my CFS/ME was very bad. They disappeared at some point but my CFS/ME remained.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
After testing for different causes, I am very sure that thyroid and cortisol deficiency caused my CFS. Just wanted to throw that out there - be sure to test your blood!

I think in most cases these are the very first things our PCPs checked for.

I remember mine did, at least for the thyroid and in subsequent years I was tested for the cortisol two times with a 4x per day saliva test and 1x by an actual endocrinologist who did that ACTH stimulation test. All came back normal. :(

After testing for different causes, I am very sure that thyroid and cortisol deficiency caused my CFS. Just wanted to throw that out there - be sure to test your blood!

how do you know you had a thyroid and cortisol deficiency? Which tests did you get?

The standard thyroid tests are TSH, if they comes back normal then no more testing occurrs, it is called a thyroid cascade. Turns out, I had a pretty good doctor in that I told him which tests I wanted and he'd do it. For my thyroid panel I got: TSH, free and total T3, free and total T4, rT3, anti-TPO ab, anti-Tg ab, anti-Trab.

I don't know much about cortisol other than I paid $200 for a test which told me what I already knew which was I was tired in the morning and could stay up later than normal nightly.