• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hyperglycemia symptoms from increased T3 dosage

Crux

@merylg ,

Isn't this condition the most difficult,frustrating, and painful thing(s)?

The T3 causing shingles was a mind-blow for me. Up to that point, I thought I'd figured that avoiding acids was it. But today, I read about some of the causes of lactic acidosis. ( I believe it to be a possible complication with ME/CFS/SEID?)

Increased epinephrine is one of the many possible causes of lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis can be difficult to diagnose. It can also be subclinical, so we can survive with it but painfully.

Dysbiosis/ SIBO can also be a cause of lactic acidosis. I've read on Chris Kresser's site that infections of sorts may cause a low T3 syndrome. So, another cause of thyroid dysfunction may be coming from elsewhere. (the gut?)

I'm with you having to try various diets...confusing but powerful. I had to lower carbs to about 80gm daily. If I go below 50...not good. I've read that though some folks do well with very low carb, most may have a problem stabilizing blood sugar after a time.

I don't have a blood glucose issue now, but who knows what's next?
Your 'body coldness' sounds just awful. Hope you can solve that one.

Sorry, I forgot to add that I believe the subclinical acidosis irritates the nerves and causes the shingles outbreak. ( lactic acid has been found in the cerebral spinal fluid of people)

Crux

I think that is the main cause...
What about your uric acid levels?

I've begun to think it's all about the gut, especially with all the studies coming out.
I was born with a messed up gut. ( baby fart )
Thinking back, I remember always having some pain,bloat,etc.
T3 has been low, TSH has been up and down. ( also have pituitary dysfunction)
Don't know about uric acid though (not tested), but the symptoms are extremely painful with specific locations?

Now that I think about cold extremities, mine are better now that I'm self-treating the gut. ( herbals, antibiotics, diet )

Gondwanaland

Don't know about uric acid though (not tested), but the symptoms are extremely painful with specific locations?
Exactly
Now that I think about cold extremities, mine are better now that I'm self-treating the gut. ( herbals, antibiotics, diet )
I improved a lot with silymarin only, but then relapsed. Will have to get serious about the silymarin again.

Crux

Yeah, the liver is the master of clearing acids. I used to respond to milk thistle and dandelion. Last time I took them, had some inflammation. I don't get it. But there are many herbs that used to work that I no longer tolerate. Maybe I took too much for too long.

Even though I haven't taken many antibiotics, I can barely tolerate very low doses.
Liver enzymes haven't been elevated, but I have had a low density lesion. There's pain sometimes.

merylg

@merylg ,

Isn't this condition the most difficult,frustrating, and painful thing(s)?

The T3 causing shingles was a mind-blow for me. Up to that point, I thought I'd figured that avoiding acids was it. But today, I read about some of the causes of lactic acidosis. ( I believe it to be a possible complication with ME/CFS/SEID?)

Increased epinephrine is one of the many possible causes of lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis can be difficult to diagnose. It can also be subclinical, so we can survive with it but painfully.

Dysbiosis/ SIBO can also be a cause of lactic acidosis. I've read on Chris Kresser's site that infections of sorts may cause a low T3 syndrome. So, another cause of thyroid dysfunction may be coming from elsewhere. (the gut?)

I'm with you having to try various diets...confusing but powerful. I had to lower carbs to about 80gm daily. If I go below 50...not good. I've read that though some folks do well with very low carb, most may have a problem stabilizing blood sugar after a time.

I don't have a blood glucose issue now, but who knows what's next?
Your 'body coldness' sounds just awful. Hope you can solve that one.

Sorry, I forgot to add that I believe the subclinical acidosis irritates the nerves and causes the shingles outbreak. ( lactic acid has been found in the cerebral spinal fluid of people)

Yep I'm on Doxy, Nilstat, Azith for chronic Mycoplasma infection. Also have Leaky Gut (confirmed by Intestinal Permeability Test using Lactulose & Mannitol). Have L-Glutamine to help treat that but am thinking multiple genetic disorders of connective tissue & general structure & function might make healing this almost impossible. Happy to discuss with anyone by PM (conversation).

http://www.healthscopepathology.com...l-pathology/tests/intestinal-permeability-ip/

Re low carb yes there seems to be an optimal threshold level to find. Hard when metabolism is deranged :alien:

Interesting re lactic acid => nerve irritation => Shingles :nervous:

Gondwanaland

Yeah, the liver is the master of clearing acids.
Interesting re lactic acid => nerve irritation => Shingles
The liver needs plenty of magnesium to do that.
Back in September I did a magnesium oxide "load" and a few baths in sodium bicarbonate which helped me to overcome salicylate intolerance and excess lactic acid, otherwise I could never take any herbs or eat vegetables again :eek:

Unfortunately such alkalizing protocol can cause candida flares in some people ( @jepps @Sidereal ).

BTW @Sidereal you need to read the post #20 in this thread :cautious:

Sidereal

I must admit that I'm concerned about your corneal herpes....:eek:....potential cause for blindness.:nervous: ( Is the herpes varicella? shingles)

This may be off topic, but I find that fermented foods, drinks, probiotics, etc cause my shingles outbreaks. Also, any supplement compounded with HCL, can cause outbreaks. I'm unsure, but maybe that's why lysine didn't help me :confused:
B12 did help to an extent.

Thanks for tagging me, @Gondwanaland. Very interesting thread. @Crux, I find that whatever is immunostimulatory and energy producing causes herpes zoster reactivation for me. I haven't tried T3 but I imagine the same thing would happen. I get ocular herpes from some types of prebiotics and also alpha lipoic acid.

Gondwanaland

Back to my hyperglycemia:

Today, 2 hours after breakfast I started feeling fogged and my glucose was at 135. So I took mangosteen and am waiting for defogging. :ill:

Edit- perhaps I should skip my hormone replacement tomorrow?

A.B.

Back to my hyperglycemia:

Today, 2 hours after breakfast I started feeling fogged and my glucose was at 135. So I took mangosteen and am waiting for defogging. :ill:

Edit- perhaps I should skip my hormone replacement tomorrow?

135 is normal after eating. 2 hours after a meal it should probably be a little lower but I don't think it's very abnormal.

If your blood sugar levels are consistently 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) to 350 mg/dL, you may have mild symptoms of high blood sugar.
I believe "consistently" is the key word here. High blood sugar doesn't start to become harmful until it stays that way for a long time.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/symptoms-of-high-blood-sugar-topic-overview

Gondwanaland

135 is normal after eating. 2 hours after a meal it should probably be a little lower but I don't think it's very abnormal.
I don't know what my levels usually are, but yesterday before dinner = 82, after dinner = 97 (no fog).
Apparently 135 is enough to make me feel foggy. In the previous mornings I felt much worse, and I assume my glycemia was higher than this.

A.B.

I think it should be higher than that after eating, but maybe you ate a low carb meal.

Gondwanaland

It looks like normal amounts of T3 will make me lower my carb intake

Perhaps the high carb diet made my body down-regulate the thyroid?

I need my pancreas to produce insulin enough for absorption of both glucose and T3!

Crux

I'm trying to synthesize this vast information we're covering. (overwhelmed)

Of course it involves the exhaustion and metabolic slow down we experience.

I agree that the low T3 and hypothyroidism could be the body's attempt to conserve energy to battle some pathogens.
I realize that we need some energy to battle the infections, but we have experienced the side effects of this excess energy from higher dosages of T3: inflammation.

A different tack may be in order. For now, I'm just trying to reduce this bacterial overgrowth, because it's the most salient issue. ( My last shingles outbreak was caused by eating 2 dollups of sour cream. puh.)