• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hyperglycemia symptoms from increased T3 dosage

Gondwanaland

Today is my 3rd day on an increased dose of T3 and am having hyperglycemia symptoms:
Mild high blood sugar
Increased thirst. check
Increased urination. check
Weight loss.
Fatigue. check
Increased appetite. check

Moderate to severe high blood sugar
Blurred vision. check
Extreme thirst.
Lightheadedness. check
Flushed, hot, dry skin.
Restlessness, drowsiness, or difficulty waking up. check
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/symptoms-of-high-blood-sugar-topic-overview

I was taking 25 mcg T4 / 5 mcg T3 and increased to 22.5 / 7.5

Also took extra selenium, but was having the symptoms before taking it. Actually 30-45 min after taking the extra selenium (40mcg in addition to 80mcg taken earlier) symptoms improved a little. I thought selenium could make them worse.

Tomorrow I will buy a glycose reader.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the symptoms will be very much appreciated.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
While you're waiting for someone more knowledgeable about T3 and hyperglycemia to respond...

You don't have the typical symptoms (as from Graves Disease) of fast heart rate and high blood pressure?

For lowering blood glucose in a normal situation:
cinnamon (I think you need a lot, maybe 1/2 tsp)
chromium (if that actually has any effect, I don't know)

of course, fast exercise is out of the question unfortunately

Actually 30-45 min after taking the extra selenium (40mcg in addition to 80mcg taken earlier) symptoms improved a little.
T3 was converted to T4?

Tomorrow I will buy a glycose reader.
At least in the U.S., you can get meters free or cheap. It's the strips that cost.

Gondwanaland

T3 was converted to T4?
The other way around
At least in the U.S., you can get meters free or cheap. It's the strips that cost.
I can buy it in any drugstore, though not cheap, and strips are really expensive :rolleyes:
You don't have the typical symptoms (as from Graves Disease) of fast heart rate and high blood pressure?
no
For lowering blood glucose in a normal situation:
cinnamon (I think you need a lot, maybe 1/2 tsp)
chromium (if that actually has any effect, I don't know)
Thanks, will try it tomorrow, since now I seem to have greatly improved. Just remembered that I have mangosteen extract at home and it's also supposed to help.

Sherlock

The other way around
But if you got better then maybe some of your surplus T3 got converted back to T4. In reverse.

Thanks, will try it tomorrow
Those are used in normal situations (I should have bolded normal). I have no idea if they might be ineffective or harmful in your situation.

Btw, I have seen varying statements on the half life of T3 being 1 day or 2.5 days.

picante

Izzy, I've had polyuria for years, and just assumed it was from low aldosterone (which I have).

T3 can make my hypoglycemia worse right after I take it, and eating is the only way out of that, once it happens. It can also make me overheat for 5-10 minutes occasionally. Note that I take T3 sublingually, so it gets into my system pretty quickly.

Please let me know about your glucose readings. I'll be surprised if they're high.

Gondwanaland

Please let me know about your glucose readings. I'll be surprised if they're high.
Well, the whole story is that
  • on the 1st day I felt great,
  • on the 2nd day I thought I had low BP and drank a glass of salted water that might have caused mouth dryness and increased urination
  • on the 3rd day I just felt terribly fogged until dinner time, but at least didn't have to wear socks for my cold feet, nor to sleep with a blanket - it's summer here!

Plus a word of caution: too much selenium/Brazil nuts can cause a shingles outbreak - my corneal herpes is acting up (time to take some lysine!)

I am going back to my lower dose today and perhaps will take the higher dose only 1x weekely.

Hopefully I will get a glucose reading later today.

brenda

I've read that cinnamon doesn't work. I use Chromium and Vanadium and intermitant fasting (from 4pm to 8am) plus low carbs no fruit. There is one brand of monitor that has cheaper strips here in the UK but don't know if you have it there. I buy it on ebay.

Gondwanaland

Today I went back to my lower dose and took 200mg lysine = clearer mind o_O

I just thought that lysine would counter-balance my supposed "OD" on selenuim :confused:

Sherlock

I've never heard of that. Does this really happen?
Hi, picante. I was just speculating on how Se might have affected her BG, if it had in fact affected her BG.
I've read that cinnamon doesn't work.
That's what I'd thought, too, brenda - from seeing someone with insulin resistant postprandial hyperglycemia get no benefit. But the high-visibilty vegan doc Greger (I am not a vegan) says it works, so there must at least be some evidence that it does. A 1/2 tsp at a time would be alot. He is evidence-based, but of course biased.
Hopefully I will get a glucose reading later today.
This is suspenseful. :) But maybe too late by now?

picante

Thanks, will try it tomorrow, since now I seem to have greatly improved. Just remembered that I have mangosteen extract at home and it's also supposed to help.
I'm glad you defogged and got better. Since you were having the symptoms before you took the extra selenium, you're thinking the extra T3 was responsible?

I've never had brain fog from T3, which I've been taking for about 6 years. High homocysteine can cause brain fog, and so can high ammonia and high sulfites. All of those generally happen with meals, in my experience.

I don't know; I'm just looking for clues.

Crux

Maybe these are possible reaction causes. Thyroid meds can increase epinephrine ( adrenaline). This can increase blood sugar.
Increased adrenaline can in turn stimulate cortisol production, which can also increase blood sugar.

I had to stop thyroid meds last year because of the side effects. ( used to take a low dose just fine)

One new side effect from the thyroid med was an unremitting Shingles outbreak at the base of my spine. (don't know why, usually acidic substances cause outbreaks)

Gondwanaland

I had to stop thyroid meds last year because of the side effects. ( used to take a low dose just fine)
I hope I can keep my low dose then...
Shingles outbreak
I have been suspecting it, also due to my increased Selenium intake. I started taking L-lysine today :nervous:

During the weekend I also started taking hydrolyzed collagen (MSG, I know :bang-head:)

Right now I am dosing with mangosteen and I am feeling better - I guess it settles the question as a glicemia issue. Will have to buy the glucose meter after all :rolleyes:

Gondwanaland

who is Rxing your T3?this is something I want to try.. do u think we need a CFS doc to administer T3?
I run away from the endocrinologist who would only prescribe T4 and am now with an integrative dr. specialized in hormones.

It was a HUGE improvement to move from T4 only into T3/T4.

I was hoping to be happy by upping my dose, but it seems I will have to settle with "better than bad".

Hey guys, does anyone know about hurting lymph nodes? Left side, close to the armpit and also neck :ill:

Crux

I must admit that I'm concerned about your corneal herpes....:eek:....potential cause for blindness.:nervous: ( Is the herpes varicella? shingles)

This may be off topic, but I find that fermented foods, drinks, probiotics, etc cause my shingles outbreaks. Also, any supplement compounded with HCL, can cause outbreaks. I'm unsure, but maybe that's why lysine didn't help me :confused:
B12 did help to an extent.