• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hydroxocobalamin has eradicated my OCD

Hi guys,

I've posted here several times about my condition.

But basically, I've had Pure OCD over the last 2 and half years. I'm 30 and it was around 27 when it developed. Shortly around the same time I was diagnosed with gastritis (but had this many years before likely). Due to the gastritis I've been unable to digest b12 very well. I tried methylcobalamin but it made my ocd much worse. I was advised I may have a COMT issue of some kind if I struggle with methyl donors. So I switch to hydroxocobalamin which after 1 or 2 weeks pretty much takes away 95% of my ocd.

So the timeline looks something like this:

2015- 2017: gastirits begins and diagnosed

2017: develop pure ocd

2018: take methylcobalamin which makes ocd worse

2019: takes hydroxocobalamin which rids me of nearly all my ocd

2020 beginning: takes b-compex with folic acid in which makes ocd return for a few months

2020 end: stopped all b complex and fortified foods, start b12 again and ocd goes away. If ocd thoughts come back I take more b12 and it goes.

It looks likely that my deficiency in b12 has done something to my methylation but I'm not sure what.

And taking the b12 has helped fixed most of my problem.

So my questions are:

-why is methylation and OCD being a link and possible cause not talking about so much?

-What do you guys think happened to me? Was my methylation off?

Thanks in advance for the responses,
Luke

Hip

So I switch to hydroxocobalamin which after 1 or 2 weeks pretty much takes away 95% of my ocd.

Very interesting.

Hydroxocobalamin is a well-known a nitric oxide scavenger (whereas methylcobalamin and other forms of B12 do not scavenge NO).

A quick Google search reveals OCD may be associated with higher levels of NO. See this study.

So we can speculate that the hydroxocobalamin form of vitamin B12 may have fixed your OCD by reducing nitric oxide levels.

Note that infection increases NO levels, because the immune system secretes NO in order to fight microbes (nitric oxide is antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal).

Hmm , very interesting about NO. I recently started taking NO boosters for workouts, my herpes outbreaks stopped but rumination went up so much. I will try hydroxocobalamin too. Will it cancel out the NO boosters then?

Hi guys,

I've posted here several times about my condition.

But basically, I've had Pure OCD over the last 2 and half years. I'm 30 and it was around 27 when it developed. Shortly around the same time I was diagnosed with gastritis (but had this many years before likely). Due to the gastritis I've been unable to digest b12 very well. I tried methylcobalamin but it made my ocd much worse. I was advised I may have a COMT issue of some kind if I struggle with methyl donors. So I switch to hydroxocobalamin which after 1 or 2 weeks pretty much takes away 95% of my ocd.

So the timeline looks something like this:

2015- 2017: gastirits begins and diagnosed

2017: develop pure ocd

2018: take methylcobalamin which makes ocd worse

2019: takes hydroxocobalamin which rids me of nearly all my ocd

2020 beginning: takes b-compex with folic acid in which makes ocd return for a few months

2020 end: stopped all b complex and fortified foods, start b12 again and ocd goes away. If ocd thoughts come back I take more b12 and it goes.

It looks likely that my deficiency in b12 has done something to my methylation but I'm not sure what.

And taking the b12 has helped fixed most of my problem.

So my questions are:

-why is methylation and OCD being a link and possible cause not talking about so much?

-What do you guys think happened to me? Was my methylation off?

Thanks in advance for the responses,
Luke

I am happy you were able to find a solution! as I ruminate a lot, I will need to try it too. I only used the methyl form in the past. Did you ever test your serum b12? What were the levels if you don't mind me asking?

Hip

Hmm , very interesting about NO. I recently started taking NO boosters for workouts, my herpes outbreaks stopped but rumination went up so much. I will try hydroxocobalamin too. Will it cancel out the NO boosters then?

I would imagine so.

Hi,

I take sublingual ones under the tongue. Not sure if I can actually post where I get them from?

It was a while ago, but it was just under 200. Low borderline I think.

I never had any fatigue though. Just brainfog and really bad ocd.

Interesting about the NO theory. Could it be possible its helped this but also my methylation? Something was off because I couldnt tolerate methy b12 at all it made my ocd much much worse. Anything with folic acid makes my compulsions worse too it feels like- insta they because I used to take a b complex with folic acid in and eat lots of cereal. Cutting them both out has helped a lot.

Someone really needs to look into this because surely I'm not the only one

I get them from a site called Cytoplan...they are a uk based company. Hydroxocobalamin b12 sublingual. I think the product number is 1036. They are around £10.

I'm not sure if I have a sulfur intolerance, how would I know if I did? I'm not as well versed at all this methylation stuff as you guys haha!

I'm not sure if the b12 healing the ocd was typically down to NO tbh, I've got an autoimmune issue which would probably cause high NO anyway and I've had that since I was 21. My ocd started at 28 the same time my b12 dropped and I got gastritis.

Its probably a mixture of both though.

All I know is that not being able to digest b12 coincided at the same time my ocd developed. There is someone else online i have seen who developed ocd the same time as gastirits.

I believe my methylation was off causing low neurotransmitters and high glutamate etc.

I'm hoping I can permanently get rid of this. I believe its physiological in nature and not psychological.

I'm not sure if I have a sulfur intolerance, how would I know if I did?
If you can't tolerate things like raw onion, garlic, high thiols sulfur foods/supplements like N-AcetylCysteine then it's a sign. Usually caused by a CBS gene upregulation. I brought it up because they recommend hydroxyb12. It plays a major role in transforming sulfur amino acids like methionine and cysteine.

Did you change your diet or start any supplements when the ocd started?

ljimbo423

Here is the info on the product @Luke1111 is talking about if anyone is interested....

Vitamin B12 Hydroxo Sublingual
A high potency of 1mg (1,000µg) per sublingual tablet. Hydroxocobalamin is an inactive form of vitamin B12 which is converted in the body into the active methylcobalamin form. People at particular risk of vitamin B12 deficiency include those eating a vegan or vegetarian diet, people with low stomach acid or other digestive conditions leading to malabsorption (and some prescription medications can reduce B12).
£10.60

Reference

Pyrrhus

If you can't tolerate things like raw onion, garlic, high thiols sulfur foods/supplements like N-AcetylCysteine t

Having a bad start-up reaction to cysteine (such as N-acetyl-cysteine) is quite common in ME patients, regardless of any food intolerance or "sulfur sensitivity". (It took me many weeks to overcome this start-up reaction and I don't have any food intolerances. Now I have no reactions from cysteine/NAC.)

Having a bad start-up reaction to cysteine (such as N-acetyl-cysteine) is quite common in ME patients, regardless of any food intolerance or "sulfur sensitivity". (It took me many weeks to overcome this start-up reaction and I don't have any food intolerances. Now I have no reactions from cysteine/NAC.)

I didn't know that, thanks. What were the adverse reactions comprised of for you during the start-up period? Just worsening of the existing symptoms, or?

On NAC, I get worsened OCD plus mania and it doesn't subside. It helped my fatigue and depression by taking me to the other extreme (mania), not ideal. I suspect I have the CBS mutation. I am yet to confirm though with testing

Undermethylators are usually ones to have OCD. You also reacted badly to folate, which could be another sign that you are an undermethylator. I found this paper useful https://www.americanherbalistsguild...-_the_methylation_cycle_and_mental_health.pdf ......

"Hydroxocobalamin is the ‘protector’ form of vitamin B12. It helps to metabolize hydrogen sulfide and nitric oxide, as well as assisting your body in using fats and carbohydrates to produce energy and new proteins"

If you can't tolerate things like raw onion, garlic, high thiols sulfur foods/supplements like N-AcetylCysteine then it's a sign. Usually caused by a CBS gene upregulation. I brought it up because they recommend hydroxyb12. It plays a major role in transforming sulfur amino acids like methionine and cysteine.

Did you change your diet or start any supplements when the ocd started?

I never changed my diet really, the only thing I have changed is that I dont eat fortified foods with folic acid in. I have noticed eating cereal for a while that it made my compulsions worse. Going off the cereal has made me feel better. I also know that when I took folic acid in a b complex it made me feel much worse too.

I avoid caffeine and fortified foods.

Other things too:

-I cant seem to take methylcobalamin as it gives me incredible anxiety and makes my ocd go through the roof
- nac didnt seem to give me any bad side effects from what I can remember

- usually when I take a lot of b12 I end up with mood swings, this coincides with the disappearance of my ocd. So it gives me a reminder what the ceiling is of what I can take. I do remember when I first starting taking it at a high dose there were a few days when I felt very strange like I could cry at any time. Not sure what all that was about.

What tests would you guys recommend? Methylation or comt gene ones? And who should I use?

Thanks,
Luke

Wishful

fortified foods with folic acid in.

For me it's niacin that cause mood swings (strong suicidal moods to be precise). B2 has also increased my general ME symptoms, although folic never seemed to have any effect. Nasty evil fortifying of foods! :devil:

For me it's niacin that cause mood swings (strong suicidal moods to be precise). B2 has also increased my general ME symptoms, although folic never seemed to have any effect. Nasty evil fortifying of foods! :devil:
Niacin did the same thing to me when I took too much, not sure what happened.

I think fortified foods are good for some, but not for me