• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hydrocortisone dosage?

Ninan

Can I tolerate higher doses of HC even though I don't tolerate low doses?

I did the saliva hormone test a few years back. My cortisol was a straight line, almost at the bottom. Except for bumps where I had taken folate. Other hormones were more or less ok. A year ago I crashed due to not tolerating all the supps in my B12 regime, but since my immunity was bad it was like my body wouldn't let me crash. Within a few hours I "bumped up" and more recent tests show my cortisol levels are higher now. I have had the best year, so much more energy. Without B12 I'm usually not able to communicate or stand up but now I'm even been able to go outside. The big but is that my adrenals are failing. I have started having symptoms of adrenal insufficiency that I have never had before. Depression, extreme stress intolerance, blood sugar issues, cold hands and feet and now it seems even estrogen production has changed. Heart is getting worse.

I think what was secondary adrenal insufficiency has become a primary one. Possibly because low signaling over a few years made my adrenals go to sleep, and now when signaling obviously is higher they are not up to the task anymore. At least that would explain why they are suddenly failing even though my cortisol production is still below normal. Higher, but low.

The obvious answer would be adrenal support but I don't seem to tolerate it. I have only tried extremely low doses but it seems to stress my adrenals. 1/3 capsule of Thorne adrenal cortrex (30 mgs of adrenal cortex and 125 mgs of whole adrenal) made me feel awful. Heavy chest, no energy, maybe some small speedy feeling behind it all. Grains of whole adrenal gives me some energy but I think it's mostly adrenaline. Ashwagandha, licorice and even Wilson's Adrenal Rebuilder (which is supposed to be hormone free) make stress intolerance and blood sugar issues etc worse. (I used to tolerate licorice before this happened.) From taking just a few grains of wet hydrocortisone on my skin I feel a bit speedy but good for a few hours and then I crash, not so much energy wise as mood wise.

Today I read on this page that low dosages often give adrenaline surges due to "supression of the feedback loop". And I wonder -- could it be that I would tolerate higher doses of hydrocortisione even though I don't tolerate the low ones. Has anyone tried this? Could the low dosages be the reason I don't tolerate it.

I'm afraid to try, scared I will make it all worse but I don't see any other way out of this. If they crash I will get so sick -- unable to keep any fluids, unable to tolerate any impressions, lower immunity, infections thriving etc.

Ninan

@concepcion I just saw you wrote something about this a couple of years ago. Your daughter tried Cortef in lower dosages and just got tired but then she tolerated the higher doses? How did that work out?

concepcion

Hi Ninan, it didn't work out so well.
After an initial improvement, she eventually got more tired and anxious. We played around with the dose, but it didn't help.

Learner1

I live on hydrocortisone... 25mg a day, divided. It replaces what my adrenals aren't doing.

It is curious that giving your body something it should need to function better is ratcheting up your symptoms... Wonder what else is going on that is amplified with adrenal support? From what you've said, its likely you do need adrenal support, so it seems like its something else that's causing you issues with it??