• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Your Microbiota Affects Your Mental Health, Among Other Things

YippeeKi YOW !!

Have been fascinated for a very long time by the many ways the trillions of tiny organisms we can't see or feel influence everything from what we can eat comfortably to how we feel, sleep, and react to the world around us.

Here's another addition to that overflowing library:
How the Bacteria Inside You Could Affect Your Mental Health
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/201...ect-your-mental-health?ocid=global_future_rss

ljimbo423

Thanks YippeeKi YOW !! It's a really interesting article, with good links too!

These pathways are not one-way streets however, so brain activity can also influence the gut flora composition. Stress can itself increase inflammation, for instance, which can then affect the microbes in our gut. The result could be a kind of feedback loop.

I think there might be something to this for some of us. I have had high levels of stress for many years. That could be keeping my gut inflamed and making it much more difficult to heal a leaky gut.

If the gut is causing brain inflammation as they suggest in the "a kind of feedback loop" link. The stress I've been experiencing could be causing a feedback loop, keeping my gut messed up.

I'm doing different things to help lower stress levels which are helping a lot! Time will tell if it helps to heal my leaky gut.:)

YippeeKi YOW !!

The stress I've been experiencing could be causing a feedback loop, keeping my gut messed up.
@ljimbo423
I agree. I went thru an absolutely hellish 10 year period of unrelenting stress, covering almost every nasty unlikeable thing you can think of short of gangrene and leprosy, and it was toward the last couple of years of that that my system started breaking down. And before you could say "Hey, watch out for the speeding truck!" I was flat on my @ss with this little horror of an illness/disease/syndrome/alien curse.

I agree. The links on that article are really interesting. I've only read a couple, am going to go back maybe over the weekend and dig in to some more. If you find any really apropos, gimme a tag, yes? :hug:
:thumbsup:

ljimbo423

I went thru an absolutely hellish 10 year period of unrelenting stress, covering almost every nasty unlikeable thing you can think of short of gangrene and leprosy, and it was toward the last couple of years of that that my system started breaking down. And before you could say "Hey, watch out for the speeding truck!" I was flat on my @ss with this little horror of an illness/disease/syndrome/alien curse.

You have an amazing sense of humor while making very good points!!:thumbsup:

I agree. The links on that article are really interesting. I've only read a couple, am going to go back maybe over the weekend and dig in to some more. If you find any really apropos, gimme a tag, yes? :hug::thumbsup:

I'm also going to try to read some more links this weekend. If I see anything I think you might be interested in I'll let you know.:)

ljimbo423

what are those things? meditation I imagine?

I do meditation once in a while. Daily I do 20 minutes of self hypnosis with the help of a free online audio from a man with 27 years experience as a hypnotherapist.

I also just started doing 20-30 minutes of the "Emotional Freedom Technique" (EFT) daily. Which is helping to lower my stress levels in ways I only imagined possible.

I've seen EFT mentioned many times here over the last few years but always though it wasn't going to really help, so I never tried it until about a week ago.

The really cool about EFT, is that it only takes about 5 minutes to, if that's all the time you want to put into it.

EDIT- If anybody is interested in links to the free audios or free EFT videos, just let me know.

ljimbo423

BeADocToGoTo1

Fixing my microbiome dysbiosis was a key part of the overall healing actions in my case. It had an immense impact on neurotransmitters, depression, mood swings, brain fog, concentration ability, food sensitivities to name a few. Good bacteria are also needed to help break down gluten, lactose, and help produce some vitamins, etc. There are a few great tests available such as comprehensive stool tests, urine metabolite tests (a.k.a. organic acid tests) and breath tests that can help determine where things are off. Fixing SIBO, Candida overgrowths, acid reflux (often a sign of dysbiosis, food quality intake and low stomach acid ) and any other pathogenic bacteria is only part of it.

Reducing the insults to the microbiome is also key and that includes things like not drinking chlorinated, ammonia and fluoride rich water and not eating antibiotics rich food. That includes wheat and vegetables sprayed with glyphosate, which was first patented as an antimicrobial. Avoid any meat, eggs and dairy that is not organic. Watch unnecessary intake of antibiotics or using antibiotics products like toothpaste, wipes, etc. Adding pre- and pro-biotics food and supplements to rebuild the beneficial flora is also important but is a bit of trial and error for your own body.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@ljimbo423
You have an amazing sense of humor while making very good points!!:thumbsup:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :heart::heart::heart:
I'm also going to try to read some more links this weekend. If I see anything I think you might be interested in I'll let you know.:)
Thank you !!! I seem to fall a little further behind every day, so God knows when I'd get to them otherwise. Much appreciated.
Daily I do 20 minutes of self hypnosis with the help of a free online audio from a man with 27 years experience as a hypnotherapist.
I'm a fairly lousy meditator, your self-hypnosis sounds like it might work a lot better for those who, like me, have a hard time ushering the DrunkenMonkeys into the quiet zone.
EDIT- If anybody is interested in links to the free audios or free EFT videos, just let me know.
Absolutely interested, hit me !!!