• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How would you describe your brain fog?

I find that recall is much slower and working memory is depleted (that makes it hard to do mental arithmetic and hard to make quick decisions because I can't keep all of the options in mind in order to compare them.) But my most persistent and exasperating problem is not being able to find things. I have instances when I look for something, can't find it, then someone points out that is directly in my field of vision! I loose one set of keys after another after another. Organizing my things is impossible if I'm tired. Also, although I can attend to things that are intrinsically interesting, such as reading, but if not, I just can't follow through. Someone gave me a fitbit but I just can't go through the steps of getting it set up. Also, I have a terrible memory for numbers!

I can completely relate. It's maddening. My mid-70 yo parents are much sharper than I am. The answer is out there...just gotta keep searching. Neurotransmitter anomolies? Structural anomolies? Vascular anomolies? Thyroid imbalances? Hormonal imbalances? I don't know...yet, but something's gotta give.

Last edited:

Sarah94

I don't get it as bad as I used to, but I think the best description I have is that it doesn't feel like there's enough room in my head for it to do the things it needs to do, to process all the information that's going into it; basically, like there's a spanner in the works. I think this makes more sense to me than anyone else though!
This is how it feels to me too.
And if I try too hard to use my brain within the too-small space in it, then the space just gets smaller and smaller.

There's an accounting principle that correlates with what's you've described - FIFO - first in, first out. So, long-term memories are not created. It's as if the brain's random access memory is overworked and the hard drive is insufficient. Just plain ol' FUBARED.