• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to raise cysteine?

jason30

Hi all,

Like most of you I also have low glutathione.
Since cysteine is a precursor to glutathione, I wonder how to raise cysteine?

I have read that cysteine does not survive the trip to the cell through the digestive system very well. Most cysteine is broken down or altered somewhere along the trip.

It seems that Raw milk is in a complete form which does raise Cysteine in the body. Unfortunately I can't take Raw milk because of some food sensitivities.
And I also don't tolerate NAC :( (probably because of the heavy metals in my body)

Are there any other options left to raise cysteine?

Thanks in advance!

jason30

I know about whey protein, but I have no good experiences with it. But maybe I need a good quality isolated version. I am gonna try that one

Thanks for the book suggestion, looks like a good informative book.

Eastman

Taurine is made from cysteine, so taurine supplementation may spare cysteine and make it more available for glutathione production.

From the abstract of this paper: "We present novel data that a high taurine dose increases the cysteine content of both mdx liver and plasma, a possible result of down regulation of the taurine synthesis pathway in the liver (which functions to dispose of excess cysteine, which is toxic)."

jason30

Take NAC, n-acetyl-cysteine. You also need adequate glycine, glutamine, B6, and selenium.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't tolerate NAC. Maybe I can after I do some cutler rounds.

I tolerate glycine. But not glutamine and selenium. I am currently experimenting with b6 and active p5p.

jason30

Taurine is made from cysteine, so taurine supplementation may spare cysteine and make it more available for glutathione production.

From the abstract of this paper: "We present novel data that a high taurine dose increases the cysteine content of both mdx liver and plasma, a possible result of down regulation of the taurine synthesis pathway in the liver (which functions to dispose of excess cysteine, which is toxic)."

Very interesting, thanks!

I just read something about putting cysteine into the cells. You can get more cysteine in your cells when you exercise/move a lot. No movement = no cysteine in the cells.

Learner1

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't tolerate NAC. Maybe I can after I do some cutler rounds.

I tolerate glycine. But not glutamine and selenium. I am currently experimenting with b6 and active p5p.
This is not about "tolerating" individual supplements. They are part of complex biochemistry. If you take somethimg and have a reaction, its a red flag that something is off. There is incredible value to having a comprehensive nutrient test, like a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval, to figure out what you're short of and what you're sufficient in so you don't have to play dangerous guessing games. You can optimize your function so much faster.

My guess is that taking NAC did actually help you make glutathione, which mobilized something toxic. If you don't have sufficient B2 and molybdenum to make your transsulfuratuin pathway work, toxins get reabsorbed and can maje you feel sick.

Patients with ME/CFS tend to be depleted in glutathione. It helps to deal with mycotoxins (mold), peroxynitrites, heavy metals and infections. Having sufficient glutathione is a cornerstone to getting better.

As for B6, its used in detoxification, gene production, sphingolipid production, and over 100 other things. All of these processes use other biochemical ingredients. So, its very hard to know which of them you'll be affecting if you experiment with B6.

Gerting good data on what you're deficient in, then putting together a comprehensive program to address your needs would be quite helpful and get you farther faster.

Aerose91

You can start with high sulfur vegetables. Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic. If you can handle any of those. Also try ALA

renski

Also look up some of Ben Lynch's work, on his pathway planner if the enzymes downstream have issues due to co-factors missing or inflammation, TNFa, etc you could have issues with NAC. Also if have high plasma cysteine shouldn't take NAC