• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Lay Down and Watch TV sans Neck Pain?

Arius

As I'm sure most of you can relate, I spend a lot of time laying down and/or watching TV. Sometimes I'd like to be able to do both, but I inevitably find it impossible to get comfortable. Maybe I just don't have the right pillows for the job. Invariably I get neck pain and then a neck pain-induced headache. I find it sort of works to lay on my side, but the issue is that I can't comfortably rest my head on a pillow with my glasses on, which I need to see the TV clearly.

Any pro tips for a person who just wants to lay down but still enjoy television?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
If you have an extra pair of glasses can you remove one of the sides that hooks over the ear most especially the one on the side you most frequently lay on?

The other thing is an ergonomic pillow...my chiro who retired got me started on Pillopedic pillows and I've used them since but you could look for a similar one.

Also if you have a tablet you can change the orientation on the screen from landscape to portrait and then lay the device so it's parallel to your vision.

Anyway, hope you find something that helps.

BrightCandle

I couldn't spend any time on the side so I got a goose neck tablet stand that allowed me to suspend the tablet above me. It wasn't very good and I don't really use it much now but when severe it helped reduce effort on my arms and neck.

Last edited:

junkcrap50

VR headsets/googles? There are some where you can put your phone in them and use your phone as a screen, that are pretty cheap. Samsung made one for their Galaxy phones.

Last edited:

BrightCandle

There are also VR Glasses like those by NReal now which can project a 3D screen from your phone/tablet. Not sure how well they work but not having the strap around the back of the head would be important as a standard set of VR goggles isn't good laying down especially those with the battery on the back they are too bulky to lay on.

junkcrap50

I find it sort of works to lay on my side, but the issue is that I can't comfortably rest my head on a pillow with my glasses on, which I need to see the TV clearly.
Depending on what kind of glasses you need, you could always cut one of the arms off some cheap glasses on the side you're laying on. If you need prescription glasses that are too costly to break, maybe there's someone selling on ebay selling broken glasses with your Rx.

overtheedge

put laptop on one side or other in bed and lie on side to watch
just be careful if you have an older harddrive, one with a disk, they can be harmed by being quickly rotated, go slow. also dont let laptop fall over onto ground