• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many steps do you take a day?

ChookityPop

How many steps do you take as well as your severity?

Im average 400-1300 steps according to my iphone. Im moderate- severe.

1) How many steps on a well paced day?
2) How many steps on a crashed day?
3) Hw many steps on a day when you have to push for something important, but you know it will crash you after?

Last edited:

wabi-sabi

This is such an interesting question!

On a good day I can do 1200, but that's really my safe max. On a crashed day it's about 600. On a day that I need to push (and know I will crash the next day) I can do 1500 or maybe 1600. But the more I do the uglier it will get! I think of myself as moderate.

If people don't mind, I'd like to add to the question-

3) Hw many steps on a day when you have to push for something important, but you know it will crash you after?

ChookityPop

This is such an interesting question!

On a good day I can do 1200, but that's really my safe max. On a crashed day it's about 600. On a day that I need to push (and know I will crash the next day) I can do 1500 or maybe 1600. But the more I do the uglier it will get! I think of myself as moderate.

If people don't mind, I'd like to add to the question-

I copy pasted your Qs into the post as well. Good questions.

1. 1200-1500
2. 400-500
3. idk actually.

Rufous McKinney

xebex

Yes for me, not standing up for longer than 20mins 3 times a day (ie for making meals and a walks a few times a week) is more important than step count but I do find that if I start to go over 2500steps it involves standing up for longer. So I try to combine both pacing methods.

Wishful

Lots&lots? I don't have a convenient way to measure steps. How many steps in 2.5 km (my typical daily walk)? Of course, my ME is atypical, so probably not relevant to whatever you're asking. :)

BTW, if anything, lots of walking makes me feel a bit better than if I'd sat around all day.

xebex

@wabi-sabi - however, i can walk for longer than i can stand still - the walking keeps the blood circulating so standing completely still for more than 10 mins would be very difficult but I can walk for 20 mins a few times a week. For me personally, I believe more of my issues is related to circulation than energy depletion (yet i don't have POT's as such) - am hoping to test my theory with a supine (not seated - must be flat on my back) bike.

@wabi-sabi - however, i can walk for longer than i can stand still - the walking keeps the blood circulating so standing completely still for more than 10 mins would be very difficult but I can walk for 20 mins a few times a week. For me personally, I believe more of my issues is related to circulation than energy depletion (yet i don't have POT's as such) - am hoping to test my theory with a supine (not seated - must be flat on my back) bike.

I subscribe to all this. MY ME is seasonal and I'm much better in warm weather (which make me think it's a circulation issue) but I can manage around 700 steps on any day. It's hard for me to get started but once I am I can keep going for at least 10 minutes at my best. However, standing still is like a tightrope act for me. I couldn't manage a couple of minutes, let alone ten. And just like you, I don't have POT's. I do have other neurological problems which bleed into the CFS but my balance has got markedly bad in the last couple of years. I already have a shower rail but will probably need a chair soon.

People often say they want to live long enough to see flying cars, but I just want to be able to ride in a hoverbed...