• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how does LPS get processed in the body?

pamojja

Yesterday listened to a podcast by Joe Cohen of LabTestAnalyser.com, in which he theorized that high LDL at advanced age is associated with lower mortality because of it binding to LPS in the blood. And that higher levels of intestinal permeability and therefore LPS are to be expected with aging. A quick google search seems to confirm that LPS seems indeed cleared by LDL.

Lalia

Hey @ljimbo423 - hope you don’t mind me asking but I am thinking of trying the NAC again, as it’s ths only thing that’s helped with my poor digestion.

Last time I started at 70mg and worked up to 200mg over three weeks and that gave me pretty bad side effects. I remember you started out at an even lower dose (25mg) and wondered how long it took you to work up? If it’s just a detox reaction that I have to push through, I’m happy to go low and slow. Thanks for your insight as always.

Lalia

I looked it up as I was curious. They seem to be eliminated through the liver. Apparently IVIG and monoclonal antibodies can help, too.

How do you know if you have an issue with them?

Hi @Learner1 - I was looking at this thread again today and this comment caught my attention. Do you happen to remember where you saw that IVIG can help with LPS?

I’m trying to understand if IVIG would be helpful for me in terms of treating autoimmunity, and my other major issues are with my gut/liver. Really interested in this comment about IVIG helping to clear LPS. I’ll google it to see what comes up. Thanks!

ljimbo423

Hey @ljimbo423 - hope you don’t mind me asking but I am thinking of trying the NAC again, as it’s ths only thing that’s helped with my poor digestion.

Last time I started at 70mg and worked up to 200mg over three weeks and that gave me pretty bad side effects. I remember you started out at an even lower dose (25mg) and wondered how long it took you to work up? If it’s just a detox reaction that I have to push through, I’m happy to go low and slow. Thanks for your insight as always.

I honestly can't remember, it was a few years ago now. I would suggest just listening to your body.

If the detox symptoms become too uncomfortable, maybe cut back on the dose until they subside. Use your symptoms as a guide and go up or down on the dose accordingly.

I just started to increase my dose of Alpha Lipoic Acid recently. I went up 25mg at first and felt very over-stimulated. That was about 2 weeks ago. The next increase in dosage I made was 10mg, so I didn't become so over-stimulated. Live and learn.:);)

The good news is, even if you only take 50mg a day for a month, before you increase the dose, that's 50mg more than you were taking, that's helping your body become stronger.:)

Jim

Mary

Moderator Resource
There is a lipase called acyloxyacyl hydrolase in the liver that detoxifies LPS through a process called deacylation.

There is also an enzyme in the gut called alkaline phosphatase that detoxifies LPS.....

LINK

LINK

I couldn't find any supplements to specifically increase either one of these things.

I think the best things to do would be to support overall liver function/detoxification and re-balance the gut microbiome to allow any increase in intestinal permeability to heal.

That will dramatically lower the amount of LPS getting into the bloodstream.

Jim

There is also a Self Hacked page on Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/alk...ProtectsAgainst_Bacteria_Infection_in_the_Gut It references a study that suggests Curcumin increases intestinal ALP activity.

I just had a blood test showing I have low ALP and I've been looking into lowering LPS as well. I'm thinking of starting on a supplement that contains both Boswellia and Curcumin. Boswellia mentioned by @Sherlock earlier.

renski

@ebethc

Binders like activated charcoal can bind LPS, colostrum or something like Mega IGG can as well, someone mentioned a product like Gundry Vital Reds would help as well, something to do with the ORAC

Nuno

Sorry to come to such an old post, but did you end up testing or finding anything that could potentially help @ebethc ?