• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you find out if you have insufficient antibody production?

ChookityPop

Do you have to have IgG deficiency?

Or do you find out by comparing antibody tests with a PCR test for something like EBV or enterovirus PCR to enterovirus neutralization test etc?

Is insufficient antibody production common in ME patients? Ive seen a decent amount of anecdotes so I assume it is.

Learner1

I've tested positive for IgM deficiency twice. The tests were years apart too so not likely to be a lab error, I don't think.

Still doctors don't know what it means or what to do with it so they just shrug.
From.National Organization of Rate Disorders;

"Overview
Selective IgM deficiency (SIgMD) is a rare immune disorder in which a person has no immunoglobulin M (IgM) antibodies, or too little IgM, with normal levels of IgG and IgA antibodies.[8783][14189] IgM is the first antibody the immune system makes to fight a new infection.[14182]

Therefore, when a person does not have enough IgM, the body may have difficulty fighting infections. SIgMD can occur in infants, children, or adults.[8783] The disorder may occur as a primary disorder (on its own) or more commonly, as a secondary disorder (associated with another underlying disease or condition). SIgMD may occur in association with some cancers, autoimmune diseases, allergic diseases, and gastrointestinal diseases.[14189][8785]

Symptoms of SIgMD may include repeated viral, bacterial, or fungal infections, such as ear infections, bronchitis, sinusitis, and pneumonia.[8783] Infections may be life-threatening.[14189] Repeated infections are common in infants with SIgMD.[8783][8785] In some people, diarrhea or a skin rash is the first symptom.[8783] Others do not have symptoms specific to SIgMD and are diagnosed when being evaluated for another condition.[8783][8785]

The diagnosis is made by blood tests showing low or absent IgM and normal levels of other antibodies, as well as diagnosing or ruling out underlying conditions that can cause low levels of IgM.[8783]"

Learner1

Do you have to have IgG deficiency?

Or do you find out by comparing antibody tests with a PCR test for something like EBV or enterovirus PCR to enterovirus neutralization test etc?

Is insufficient antibody production common in ME patients? Ive seen a decent amount of anecdotes so I assume it is.
Either have your GP/PCP test your immune system function or you could try an immunologist. There are various types of immunodeficiency and testing would tell you which you might have, if you have one at all.