• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do I know I'm not dying?

Wayne

If I could get my gut working right again and have less food reactions I feel like I could get some semblance of normal life back. However I don't know what's wrong with it.

@Jwarrior77 -- I watched a great 20-min. video recently which expounds on how a person can go about healing various GI problems. Much of the information centers around intermittent fasting, which gave me agood yardstick on how I might lengthen my number of hours of not eating on a regular basis.

Since following some of this (likeable) young man's suggestions, I've found my new intermittent fasting eating schedule to be more comfortable and easier to follow than when I ate more regularly, because eating has for a long time been stressful on my system.

In short I found the video to be highly informative, educational, and somewhat entertaining at the same time. I think there's good potential it could serve as a very good blueprint to start with for anybody trying to address their own GI issues. -- BTW, I think this same young man made a video on stimulating the vagus nerve [see link below].

How I Reversed Chronic Constipation Using Coffee Enemas! | SIBO IBS-C Gallstones

The 3 Best Natural Ways to Stimulate your Vagus Nerve to Improve Digestion
66K views 2 years ago

Last edited:

Tammy

honestly feel like I need to be hospitalized yet doctors can't find anything wrong
I remember feeling the same the first couple of years (and feeling like I was dying) My weight got down to 93lbs. I remember it hurt sometimes to sleep on my side because my ribs and hips hurt from no padding. I am so sorry you are feeling this bad and scared. I was scared too. I remember just eating potatoes and bananas for awhile and although that isn't much of a diet.......just eating those two things seemed to settle down my gut problems. I gradually began to add in more things. Well............here it is 24 years later and I survived. I'm sharing this with you because I want you to have hope and know that if others can improve from that hell.........so can you. Sending hugs

Last edited:

dannybex

Hi @dannybex -- Good to see you posting; agree with you on your point. Though I think he created some good products, I too became disappointed in how he came to market them. I just noticed that it appears he sold Garden of Life, so he may no longer be with the company.

Likewise @Wayne -- it's been too long. And I know you know what I mean. Waaaaay too long. :lol:

I first read his story with a certain fascination many years ago. Of the many things he shared in one of his orginal books, one thing has stuck with me over the years. He mentions he saw something like 70 health professionals over a couple of years. Apparently his father was a chiropractor, so many of the practitioners he saw often had a niche that was somewhat "alternative" oriented.

When he finally solved his own health issues, Jordan was certain these 70 practitioners would be anxious to learn the details of what he had done. Extraordinarily--as I recall--virtually none of them were much interested. They only remained interested in their own particular niche. -- Quite a commentary on human nature, eh?

Yes, definitely. I've found that to be true too, as I suppose you have. Look at Cheney (or better yet, probably don't), and the other so-called 'top' names. The majority are very reluctant to step outside of their own boxes.

The thing that gets me about Rubin, is that by omitting what really helped him, he lied. And I'm sorry, but as with Judy Mikovits and others, I just have no respect or patience with liars. We're looking for help, for guidance...the last thing we need is false hope.

And not only did he lie, he then proceeded to produce a product that wasn't what helped him, and made a fortune out of it and a few dozen others. Meanwhile, many thousands, perhaps more, could've been helped w/the original...or maybe not...but we'll never know.

Anyway, hope you're hanging in there, and/or perhaps even better than that.

Booble

Nobody will probably agree with me on this but I'll say it anyways -- rather than focusing on healthy eating, I'd try to focus on eating. Anything that appeals to you. Use this an opportunity to eat whatever you want -- forget the healthiest as ever foods and eat. The goal right now should be getting back to eating a good amount of calories which will start to help your appetite come back. Then you'll eat more and your body can start to come back to life. Then you can go back to focusing on healthy eating.

(And for what it's worth, oranges and orange juice which I used to eat a lot of definitely ended up on my can-not-eat list.)

Booble

Re: Rubin -- How in heck was he able to travel to 30 countries when he had sunk so low. Personally I don't buy his story. Methinks he exaggerates.

As an example, I have a person close to me who has written books on anxiety talking about her life growing up with anxiety. Truth is -- she has NO idea what real anxiety is like. She has decided that her bit of nervousness was anxiety.

dannybex

Nobody will probably agree with me on this but I'll say it anyways -- rather than focusing on healthy eating, I'd try to focus on eating. Anything that appeals to you. Use this an opportunity to eat whatever you want -- forget the healthiest as ever foods and eat. The goal right now should be getting back to eating a good amount of calories which will start to help your appetite come back. Then you'll eat more and your body can start to come back to life. Then you can go back to focusing on healthy eating.

(And for what it's worth, oranges and orange juice which I used to eat a lot of definitely ended up on my can-not-eat list.)

I agree in general. It's hard to recover when one isn't getting enough fuel -- then the body breaks itself down to provide that fuel.

Things get complicated though when one has various food intolerances, and of course the ironic result is often a worsening of those intolerances. Fixing the gut is key, but that's another novel I haven't completed successfully yet.

Interesting I have yellow stools too, but these are a intermittent, perhaps 30% of the time. I'm not sure there's any correlation with diet but there is a correlation with what I call inflammation (I've never seen crp elevated,) there's also a Characteristic smokey smell, hard to describe. Did you find anything that has helped. I had a ultrasound, my gallbladder was normal but for 1 polyp which they said was not worth worrying about

Pyrrhus

Interesting I have yellow stools too, but these are a intermittent, perhaps 30% of the time. I'm not sure there's any correlation with diet but there is a correlation with what I call inflammation (I've never seen crp elevated,) there's also a Characteristic smokey smell, hard to describe.

One possibility is low-level inflammation of the liver. Yellow stools may indicate that bile is not being sufficiently produced by the liver or released by the gallbladder.

Another possibility is low-level inflammation of the pancreas, especially if the stools are greasy looking. A lack of pancreatic enzymes can cause greasy, smelly stools.

Hope this helps.

Davsey27

I'm a 19 year old male who got struck down with ME/CFS and POTS almost exactly one year ago. It was sudden onset and the rapid progression of this debilitating illness was pretty fast. I am so weak most days it feels like my spirit would just rise out of my chest if it would progress any further.

I've become very underweight at around 5'10 and 106 pounds last time I checked. My ribs, spine, and hip bones show dramatically. My gut doesn't seem to be working right and doctors don't know why. My stool is always a pale yellow color sorry TMI. Nothing gets digested despite chewing and taking digestive enzymes + probiotics. I also have food reactions that I can't pinpoint if it's MCAS or not.

My body constantly feels inflamed with something or some chemical. I also have air hunger and trouble breathing along with brain fog and not being able to think along with many many other symptoms. I know these are all symptoms ME/CFS suffers deal with but I honeslty don't know if I'm dying or not. I keep losing weight and my body doesn't seem to be absorbing any food.

I honestly feel like I need to be hospitalized yet doctors can't find anything wrong and would probably just discharge me. My parents also don't have enough money and have already spent thousands on treatments and ER visits. I can't help but feel there is something underlying going on and I feel this constant weight loss is going to kill me. I'm not trying to be dramatic in any way. I can't help but feel that something is seriously wrong when I feel like this 24/7. Does anyone have any advice?

Yes pacing may be able to help with the me/cfs.Not sure about Pots.

Multiple systems tend to be effected sorry to hear the gut problems.

If you can find a good functional med doc

In the meantime dont push too hard and dont be afraid to use a wheelchair to conserve energy if you feel severe

Look into mold/environmental sensitivities as well