• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How COVID-19 Attacks The Brain And May Cause Lasting Damage

Rufous McKinney

Joy...not.

Already- have virus in brain (most likely).

I get major smell hallucinations...at times when I'm in more acute bad ME shape. The tongue meanwhile does not taste well...its manifesting a whole list of body wide symptoms.

I can feel the olfactory bulb is inflamed back there. But in my case, my sinuses are bone dry. that inflammation is almost a constant issue.

There are chinese herbs I take which moisten the lung and help a bit with this dryness.

Wolfcub

I am just hoping that this:
The finding may explain why COVID-19 patients have such a wide range of brain-related symptoms, Nath says, including some related to brain areas that control functions such as heart rate, breathing and blood pressure.

"They complain of heart racing," he says, or that "when they stand up they get quite dizzy. Or they can have urinary problems."

Still others report feeling extreme fatigue, which can also be caused by a brain injury.

May possibly lead to investigation about HOW viruses can do this, and maybe shine a light on ME/CFS symptoms!!

I was lucky. Covid didn't appear to affect me any more deeply or profoundly than I had been before when all the dust settled (well, I don't know for sure, but don't think so.
But whatever-it-was that I caught in Spring 2018 certainly messed me up, and from day one I had bizarre neurological symptoms....only fairly mild but too weird. It also affected something connected with my autonomic system and led to lots of symptoms and still does. All invisible however on CT.

Re: olfactory hallucinations @Rufous McKinney ....I have noticed that I easily "visualise" smells, and that has happened in the last 2 yrs 10 months. That's not too bad as symptoms go. All I have to do is think of something (onions, or lavender, or whatever) and I smell it.

Rufous McKinney

All I have to do is think of something (onions, or lavender, or whatever) and I smell it.

I was experiencing...smelling the downstairs neighbors cooking dinner, only the smell was then getting translated into...oh like it smelled like solvents or benzene, when it was hot dogs.

The senstitivity to smells generally, tracks the PEM. Newsprint smells horrible and magazines...for instance.

My daughter, when here visiting, is often demanding I smell this or that. NO>....I flee the area.

Wolfcub

I was experiencing...smelling the downstairs neighbors cooking dinner, only the smell was then getting translated into...oh like it smelled like solvents or benzene, when it was hot dogs.

The senstitivity to smells generally, tracks the PEM. Newsprint smells horrible and magazines...for instance.

My daughter, when here visiting, is often demanding I smell this or that. NO>....I flee the area.
Oh my! That's no fun. And it comes with PEM? But isn't there if you feel a bit better?

Rufous McKinney

But isn't there if you feel a bit better?

It does not happen too frequently when I'm in my general ME condition and am not crashing or super run down.

Generally, I am extremely sensitive to smells...always have been...the smell of the fair, as a child, made me feel ill.

I was also a hyper taster.. long ago...now my tongue is- well it does n't work well in the tasting dept either.

My daughter informs me that there are smells I am also missing entirely- so it goes both ways.

Sledgehammer

My better half Lost an Aunt a few days ago. She was a fit 68 year old and it only took two days to kill her.
She had all the symptoms of Covid. Her husband 72 is on a ventilator and doing well.
Cause of catching the disease was having the extended family over for Christmas.
All 15 or so family members bar one tested positive. Not a good start to the year at all :(

Wolfcub

My better half Lost an Aunt a few days ago. She was a fit 68 year old and it only took two days to kill her.
She had all the symptoms of Covid. Her husband 72 is on a ventilator and doing well.
Cause of catching the disease was having the extended family over for Christmas.
All 15 or so family members bar one tested positive. Not a good start to the year at all :(
My condolences to your partner's family. That was such a terrible shock for everyone. It only seems a moment since Christmas, and it's shocking how this can kill fit people like she was. Her husband must be devastated. My kind thoughts sent. I hope he will continue to do well.

Sledgehammer

My condolences to your partner's family. That was such a terrible shock for everyone. It only seems a moment since Christmas, and it's shocking how this can kill fit people like she was. Her husband must be devastated. My kind thoughts sent. I hope he will continue to do well.

Thank your for your kind words. I have passed them, they're much appreciated.
I know them both very well and for it to happen in a matter of days was shocking indeed.
The extended family are feeling guilty for brining the virus into their home.
But It's something they're going to have to live with I'm afraid. They really should have know better.