• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How can I truly know if I have ME/CFS?

andyguitar

Ok, if you are up to it I stongly recommend you have a close look at what those drugs can treat at the dose you were given. I assume the Benadryl was the pre-med. Its also used to treat allergy. Might be that which had the effect not the IVIG. There is a simple way to check. Get a Doc to prescribe the exact drugs in the same dose you were given but dont have the IVIG.

Gingergrrl

Benadryl is not a prescription in the US (it’s an OTC allergy med). One dose of IV (or pill form) of Benadryl prior to IVIG would not lead to a two month remission. My pre-meds for IVIG were Atarax (b/c I do better w/it than Benadryl), Pepcid & Tylenol. For me (not speaking for @crypt0cu1t) the improvement in overall symptoms, and the remission from MCAS, was due to the IVIG.

I had been hospitalized one year prior to starting IVIG and was getting IV Benadryl 2x/day in the hosptial (and then Benadryl injections once I went home) but it did not bring about remission and I ended up developing a toxicity to it. The IVIG infusion pre-meds are short-lived in their reactions (unless someone had a high dose of something like Decadron) but even that would not bring a two month remission from a single dose.

Last edited:

crypt0cu1t

IG: @crypt0cu1t
Benadryl is not a prescription in the US (it’s an OTC allergy med). One dose of IV (or pill form) of Benadryl prior to IVIG would not lead to a two month remission. My pre-meds for IVIG were Atarax (b/c I do better w/it than Benadryl), Pepcid & Tylenol. For me (not speaking for @crypt0cu1t) the improvement in overall symptoms, and the remission from MCAS, was due to the IVIG.

I had been hospitalized one year prior to starting IVIG and was getting IV Benadryl 2x/day in the hosptial (and then Benadryl injections once I went home) but it did not bring about remission and I ended up developing a toxicity to it. The IVIG infusion pre-meds are short-lived in their reactions (unless someone had a high dose of something like Decadron) but even that would not bring a two month remission from a single dose.
Yeah I'm inclined to agree that it wasnt any of the premed that put me into remission. Yes, my illness was relapsing remitting before IVIG but I dont think a 2 month remission was a coincidence.

Also what's the girl on the 6th floor about?

Gingergrrl

Also what's the girl on the 6th floor about?

It’s a book that is a true story re: a girl who had autoimmune encephalitis written by her father and how challenging it was to get a proper diagnosis and treatment for her. Let me know if you can’t find it on Google and I’ll get you more info.