• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How can i stop brain demyelination?

is there anything i can do to stop brain demyelination for the last 4 days my brain has been feeling demyelinated this is thought to happen when you have a viral invasion in the brain(which i know i have)which results in having cytokines in your brain to fight the virus resulting in a never ending battle which of course turns in autoimmune because you can't flush the virus out of the brain and the cytokines are always there to fight the virus which results in brain demyelination and brain lesions as seen in MRI's, my question is this, is there anything i can do to try to stop this? i have noticed in these last 4 days that my toes are also getting numb and my left eye feels really funny like it's getting numb as well it's very scary these are typical symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, if you guys know of something that works please lemme know asap...so i can try to stop it..a virus like herpes will cause brain encephalitis which can be fatal some times and it may cause demyealination too, but this isn't herpes i am almost 100% sure is XMRV....

Jemal

Try taking large amounts of B12... I know it has greatly recuded my brain fog. Also, when the body runs out of B12, it can cause demyelination. So taking extra B12 might combat this process. You can't really overdose on B12, so it's pretty safe. I have been taking 400.000% of the recommended dose of B12 daily for more than 9 months. The excess B12 leaves the body through urine, so it shouldn't build up, like Vitamin D for example (which can be toxic and even deadly when you take overdoses for a few months).
I am taking pills that contain 400.000% of the recommended dose that are sold in stores here in the Netherlands. So the general opinion is that it's safe (many other vitamins, supplements or drugs are strictly regulated over here).

One warning: don't take too much B12 when you have a history of cancer. B12 is thought to help cells replicate and if you have cancer this might be a bad idea. Don't think there is a lot of hard evidence, but it's best to stay on the safe sides of things.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
The previous suggestions are very goods ones and one thing that you might want to add or alternate in is a antioxidant that crosses the BBB to sort of help mop things up. Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is the one that jumps in my head as the first choice. Might not be the best choice if you have heavy metal levels as there are some concerns about possible re-distribution.

Hate to keep throwing things at you, but a combination of ALCAR/ALA would probably be a very good option as well.

hey thanks a lot for your reply im actually taking B12 i take 4 a day and it says 1000mcg or 16667% which would be 66668% and i also take omega3 fish oil about 4000mg a day and it did help ma a lot when i starte dto do this but now it seems like it's either not working anymore or i need to up the dose because im feeling tingling and numbness in my feet which i never felt before, i have noticed as well that i need to sleep very well otherwise the next day i will have a headache for sure lasting all day..any other ideas would be apreciatted thank ou..

The previous suggestions are very goods ones and one thing that you might want to add or alternate in is a antioxidant that crosses the BBB to sort of help mop things up. Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is the one that jumps in my head as the first choice. Might not be the best choice if you have heavy metal levels as there are some concerns about possible re-distribution.

Hey August59 thanks for your reply, this is really funny and ironic at the same time i just got home from work and on my way here i stopped at the drug store and spent like 30mins reading the description on all the dang bottles and i came home with a bottle of Carnitine with Alpha Lipoic Acid it says to take 1-4 pills a day so im thinking i'll start with 3 one with each meal and i'll see if it works i will let you know... I have noticed as well that when i drink big amounts of green tea my head gets really clear but there's only one brand that works for me so far....thanks for your help..

redo

is there anything i can do to stop brain demyelination

(...)

results in brain demyelination and brain lesions as seen in MRI's

Do you have MRi's showing brain demyelination?

The only thing I know to stop it is the monoclonal antibody from the Hauser study (a medicine much used in Rheumatoid Arthritis).

Here is from page two, they did brain scans prior to treatment, when beginning treatment, and into the treatment.

attachment.php

Here are their results. When you asked about stopping new brain lesions from coming. The number of new lesions went straight down (from page nine):

attachment.php

But the patients didn't just stop getting worse. They also begun getting better. Here is the graf of total lesions:

attachment.php

The monoclonal antibody Natalizumab is being used for MS. Rituximab is in phase II. Some people have got the often lethal PML (I am guessing less than 1:10.000 patients, but I am not sure).

Rituximab is also being used in small trials for CFS (link). But it's not approved yet for CFS or for MS. If you have rheumatoid arthritis (not responding to other meds) you'd get it, but not with just CFS... Not approved yet (and of course, we don't know if it will be approved).

But it looks good, the way it can reduce the number of brain lesions shown on the MRI. They had 104 patients in the study, 69 got meds, the rest placebo.

Attachments

• newlesions..jpg
    newlesions..jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 922
  • totallesions..jpg
    totallesions..jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 764
  • brainscan..jpg
    brainscan..jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 812
Do you have MRi's showing brain demyelination?

The only thing I know to stop it is the monoclonal antibody from the Hauser study (a medicine much used in Rheumatoid Arthritis).

hey Redo thanks a lot for your reply, i don't know yeat what i have but i suspect it's something infectious as i started getting sick a few weeks after i had a broken concom incident and i have been tested for all stds out there including HIV 1/2/O and HTLV1/2 so these have been ruled out, so i kept getting worse and worse and i kept telling my doctor i feel something weird in my brain he woulndn't beileve because the scan didn't show anything so i kept asking for an MRI finally they did an MRI and it showed brain demyelination the Dr said this normally happens a few weeks after a viral invasion to the brain and we know not a lot of virus can cross the BBB so im thinking it's either XMRV or some type of herpes im leaning a lot more torwards XMRV because i have multiple eruptive dermatofibromas and this only happen when you have something that makes you have a compromised immune system plus i have a swollen tongue due to having an enlarged spleen beacuse of a virus which i know i have herpes wouldn't give you a swollen tongue...thanks a lot for the info i will tell my doctor as soon as i can get a friggin appointment...

Hi roma.

If your current doc is not having you fully checked out you might want to get a second opinion. These symptoms need checking out. Sometimes large doses of supplements can cause these kinds of symptoms or even interactions among them. This is worth checking out too.

Best wishes

hey thanks s lot KFG the MRI was taken way before i started taking any vitamins or supplements so i don't think there's a connection there at least in my case..