• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How are your triglycerides?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Had an appt with a dietitian yesterday, suffice it to say living below the poverty level and with ME means i won't be making fancy meals with lots of vegetables but something she mentioned struck me. My triglycerides are high and when i asked how that works it basically comes down to glucose that is not used for energy gets stored as triglycerides and we gain weight.

Of course increasing my activity level is unrealistic, but i wonder if this is a downstream symptom of ME. If my body can't use glucose (multiple studies suggest this is part of ME) then the energy is stored away.

Thoughts?

BrightCandle

IIRC there have been a number of papers noting heightened lipids including triglycerides. Here is one such paper showing differences between the sexes but men having heightened triglycerides https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-021-03035-6

I think its a well known effect at this stage and its one of the findings that has led to the direction of Davis' work towards the mitochondria being faulty for some reason.

Alvin2

IIRC there have been a number of papers noting heightened lipids including triglycerides. Here is one such paper showing differences between the sexes but men having heightened triglycerides https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-021-03035-6

I think its a well known effect at this stage and its one of the findings that has led to the direction of Davis' work towards the mitochondria being faulty for some reason.
Interesting, i gotta try and read through this.

vision blue

Try flax oil

Althoni have insulin thst is too high, my triglycerides are not elevated.
My vague recollection is take the ratio of triglycerides to LDL and if its more than 1.1 thats the bad kind of ldl. So e.g. @Judee if u have the good kind of ldl the increase is fine I think the studies were done on disbetics but as others have noted we seem to have quite a bit in common with them

I remember theres some other ratios one can take and i remember thinking that while my absolute numbers looked good my ratios meqnt things were actually alot worse- so for you maybe it coukd be the reverse?

Im not sure how much dieticiabs know about mechanisms. Im debating seeing one- but if my constraint is i cant eat most foods, what good can they piossibly do

Alvin im assuming your not outright diabetic or prediabetic? Howa ykur ha1c?

And that makes two- dietician and mri- wow youve been busy!

Alvin2

BrightCandle

My recent blood test shows Triglycirides are normal so I guess years of eating eating very restrictively due to intolerances has resulted in healthy blood, weight gan of course but healthy, all looks great my GP said other than Creatine Kinase which shows my body is eating its muscle. But ME patients blood always looks so normal they never find anything on the tests....