• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Housing or Section 8, etc in the USA

Misfit Toy

Is anyone in the US on SSDI and on Section 8 housing? I am really sick since Covid, CFS, Sjogrens and I know at some point I will have to go into Government housing. I want to get a head start on how to go about doing it.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I'm not in the USA so i don't have specific knowledge to impart but i presume the waiting lists are many years long so apply right away to get on the list so that you start the clock now.

Misfit Toy

I'm not in the USA so i don't have specific knowledge to impart but i presume the waiting lists are many years long so apply right away to get on the list so that you start the clock now.

I am not sure I should do that as I still have an inheritance and I would not qualify. I am not sure how this works.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I am not sure I should do that as I still have an inheritance and I would not qualify. I am not sure how this works.
Then you need to speak to a lawyer.
Around here many will do a free or 20-30 min free initial consult.
There may also be pro bono options available just to ask some questions.

Last edited:

Misfit Toy

Then you need to speak to a lawyer.
Around here any will do a free or 20-30 min free initial consult.
There may also be pro bono options available just to ask some questions.

Yes, thank you. I did reach out to a lawyer today and will wait to hear back. What surprises me is how few people who are sick are on government assistance. Also, it seems like Phoenix Rising has really died down since 2018. I could be wrong.

Jessie~

Just a side note to share about Section 8 housing vouchers:

About 12 years ago I applied for Section 8, and after a waiting period I was accepted and getting set up to receive it. I went to a meeting with others who were being accepted to go over the rules. Around that time I had also recently legally become a Medical Marijuana patient.

They don’t allow that. When the meeting was over, they took my Section 8 voucher away from me and I was absolutely crushed. I left there balling my eyes out and devastated.

Instead of finally getting the much needed housing assistance and living independently, they took it right away from me and I had to move into a family members basement.

I don’t know if any of that has changed since then, or if it varies by each state, but at that time:

*You can’t be a legal Medical Marijuana patient and receive Section 8 housing assistance.

*GG*

Just apply and see what they say. If you live in the town, you are higher up on the list compared to people who are Not. Some States have an application that can apply (just about) Statewide. So instead of applying to 5 or 10 towns, as an example, it could cover 20 plus?

Not every town/City is going to have affordable housing options. You could go the route of Section 8, but my concern with that is if the homeowner sells, and the new person doesn't want to accept Section 8.

GG

Tammy

Yes, I get Section 8 help. I'm not really sure there is a way to get a head start on this as to qualify you need to be in a certain financial bracket. Edit to add: I was going to suggest looking into a Special Needs Trust but I see from another thread that you are already familiar with it which is a good thing. More people need to know about it.

Zebra

The last time I looked into Section 8 Housing Vouchers for my city -- or perhaps county, I'm unsure -- I discovered that the need is so great where I live that even the *Wait List* to apply for Section 8 had been closed for *several* years. Can you believe it?!?!?

Lately I've been thinking about trying to connect with a social worker to see what kind of low-income housing opportunities I might qualify for either here, in my current city or county, or somewhere else entirely.

Hi, @Misfit Toy

I've got my hands full this spring with more pressing (medical) matters, but if I'm able to revisit the housing situation this summer, I will definitely return to this thread and share what I learn.

Thank you for raising this topic!

Yes, might need to move to a different county in your state. As I said yesterday. For some reason my comment saying that yesterday seems to have disappeared??

Jessie~

Here is a screenshot that I took today from Michigan’s MiBridges website.

It says that the waiting list for Housing Choice Vouchers will be opening soon in 61 counties! On March 22, 2023. I thought it might be helpful for some (in Michigan) if I post this here to let you know of the opportunity opening up soon.

Perhaps this is also happening soon in other states as well? Wouldn’t hurt to check into it for your state or county etc. right now if you are in need.
A09870C6-B295-4232-B62A-D4E51FB230B9.jpeg

Last edited:

Jessie~

super bummer.

The issue was likely Section 8 is federal $ and you needed to not mention your state-legalized medicine.

Yes, that was exactly the reason. Federal $.

But I knew I couldn’t hide it, because there was so much proof of it in doctors paperwork and the state licensing. And when on assistance programs, you are constantly reminded of fines, jail time, and all of that much needed help that will be taken away from you if you lie about your details or break the rules.

Back then, I thought taking the opportunity to become a legal M.M. patient would be helpful and might protect me. But not in the Section 8 housing situation. It was a super bummer. Lesson learned.

Last edited: