• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hot swollen brain sensation?

hunter1899

Hunter, when you're out on a relatively dry, breezy day, that's when outdoor mold spores can be the most concentrated in the air. Wet mold spores tend to adhere to the ground and foliage. I'm fine right after a rain, but when things start to dry out a couple of days after a heavy rain - THE WORST! So dry eyes may not be at the root of your eye discomfort.

Using a good eye wash with an eye cup can help though, as it rinses the mold spores out of your eyes. (Using thick eye drops for dry eyes like Liquid Tears, etc., don't help me at all.) I have to use Sensitive Eyes Saline Solution (for rinsing contact lenses) because it doesn't contain the preservative benzalkonium chloride (to which I'm very sensitive - BKC burns my eyes!) - it's used in most regular eyewash formulas.

But you might not be sensitive to benzalkonium chloride - you'll only know if your eyes burn worse after using something that contains it. If so, then switch to a saline solution for contact lenses that doesn't have it.

Interesting. It’s so confusing because I know allergies can also cause dry eye so is the mold allergy I tested positive for technically causing the eye eye sensation that some folks refer to as dry eye? Is the pencilling and candida that prevalent in the outdoor air? So crazy. I do have an appointment with the eye doctor at 1:15 so I’ll report back if it’s at all helpful. But I’ll definitely look into the treatments you suggested. Did you test positive for mold allergy?

Ailúron

So sick and tired of being so sick and tired.
It is possible that your dry eye is caused by allergy, though many allergies cause just the opposite - weeping, watery eyes! (Makes ya crazy, doesn't it?)

Candida isn't airborne, as far as I know - it's usually internal, I believe - primarily a fungal overgrowth in your intestines, but it can spread to other parts of your body (and do damage). Coconut milk is a good basic maintenance to keep candida in check. We all have some in our intestines but held in check by good intestinal flora (probiotics) - but candida hates coconut!

I'm not sure about penicillin in the air ("pencilling" - haha! - I think your autocorrect is hyperactive). It is produced by certain mushrooms, so I would assume that it is potentially airborne.

But that eyewashing thing can be done as many times as you want - and it does moisten dry, burning eyes. (But only temporarily.) I would say wash all the spores out first. Then follow it up right away with the allergist's recommendation for a long-lasting dry-eye medication, if that continues to be a problem.

Yes, I tested "violently" positive for four different species of outdoor molds, but it was so long ago, I can't remember the specific names. Penicillium was not one of them. I'm going to be retested after my second COVID vaccination and reaction period are over and done with next month. I'll update my allergy results here when I get them.

hunter1899

It is possible that your dry eye is caused by allergy, though many allergies cause just the opposite - weeping, watery eyes! (Makes ya crazy, doesn't it?)

Candida isn't airborne, as far as I know - it's usually internal, I believe - primarily a fungal overgrowth in your intestines, but it can spread to other parts of your body (and do damage). Coconut milk is a good basic maintenance to keep candida in check. We all have some in our intestines but held in check by good intestinal flora (probiotics) - but candida hates coconut!

I'm not sure about penicillin in the air ("pencilling" - haha! - I think your autocorrect is hyperactive). It is produced by certain mushrooms, so I would assume that it is potentially airborne.

But that eyewashing thing can be done as many times as you want - and it does moisten dry, burning eyes. (But only temporarily.) I would say wash all the spores out first. Then follow it up right away with the allergist's recommendation for a long-lasting dry-eye medication, if that continues to be a problem.

Yes, I tested "violently" positive for four different species of outdoor molds, but it was so long ago, I can't remember the specific names. Penicillium was not one of them. I'm going to be retested after my second COVID vaccination and reaction period are over and done with next month. I'll update my allergy results here when I get them.

Very interesting and helpful. I appreciate it. I tried to research candida but it seems like there are several types? I wonder if any are airborn? My ENT said there is dust in the air outdoors as well that could be affecting me but it seems like when I encounter a lot of dust indoors I usually react with itchy eyes and sneezing/running nose. A typical allergic response but apparently pressure is a common response for folks too and I definitely have inflammation based on the CT scan. Who the hell knows! I’ll definitely do that way though. And definitely let us know updates about yourself too.

lenora

@Hunter and @Ailúron.....As a fellow sufferer of severe sinus problems that aren't helped with antibiotics, I've learned acupressure from the one person who seems to make a difference, my osteopath. If you can find one who specializes in manipulation therapy only (they're generally very gentle; if not tell them you need to be handled carefully and no cracking of neck, etc. I've never had that with them, but there's a first time for everything, isn't there?).

Just yesterday I had a refresher course and it really makes a huge difference. Pollen is a big problem for people who live in N. Texas. Unless a person is a native, everyone else seems to have problems, and we're all the same. Since we love sitting on our porch, pollen is a constant irritant but I'm not giving up that particular enjoyment of life b/c of it. A saline solution for the nose will rinse the pollen out....try it by buying a store brand and see if it helps. I hope so.

Sinus pressure can give me headaches, especially the forehead, ears and even down as far as the teeth. One could probably find the acupressure points online....I've been going to osteopaths for many problems over the years, this one especially. And yes, even your eyes can be a problem, especially if they're blue or a lighter color of any sort. My husband who has had allergy shots for the past 54 yrs., and finally stopped about 2 yrs. ago, has fewer problems than I do. It takes about 2 yrs. for allergies to develop especially if you're coming from a different part of the country or overseas. Good luck. If your antibiotics don't work, then try acupressure. Yes, I've found before and after rain to be particularly bad, wind, fall, winter and spring. The only break would be half of June, July and August when it's just hot. I wish you better health. Yours, Lenora.