• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hoping I am not methyl trapped- Help

Hi, I am new to this forum and hoping for some advice. So I found out I have the MTHFR genetic mutation (compound heterozygous) and took methyl folate for the first time 4 days ago. I should have done more research on it first because I knew I had read that it could have side effects but figured a very small amount couldnt do much harm.

But I was wrong- Within an hour felt like my heart was racing and was a little anxious but was hoping it would wear off by the next day. Well, it has only been getting worse and worse every day. Racing heart, anxiety and insomnia every night. I tried niacin multiple times the first two days but it didn't seem to help and kind of made me feel worse.. Now yesterday and today I am having numbness and painful tingling in my toes and feet, and my lips are peeling and sore, i'm a little sick to my stomach and just feeling awful in general.

I have taken methyl B12 many times in the past and it never gave me any symptoms so that's why I'm scared I could be having the methyl trap and not just overmethylation. I only took the smallest fourth of a Jarrow methylfolate pill (so less that 100mgc), it also had methyl B12 in it but if I'm deficient maybe that wasnt enough? Is it possible i could be methyl trapped from this small amount? And if so what should I do??

caledonia

I guess it's possible if you were deficient enough in B12 to not be able to handle the extra folate. If you're methyl trapped, some B12 should help.

If it's overmethylation, small amounts of the nicotinic acid form of niacin should help. Ben Lynch suggests 50-100mg. Like not enough to cause a niacin flush.

Another possibility is potassium deficiency caused by cranking up methylation. If you don't already have potassium on hand, some coconut water might be helpful.

Check out the document Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment in my signature link, and also Start Low and Go Slow.

Thank you for replying. I took some methyl B12 the last 2 days. It didn't help me feel any better but also not any worse so I guess that's good.

I also figured out through doing more research and reading about all this (that I should have done in the first place) that I have a double mutation on my MTRR A66G which I guess makes me become easily depleted in B12? So I think I definitely should have focused on getting that in my system first. Ugh I feel so stupid.

Eastman

@Linz84

In case you have not read it, here is Ben Lynch's recommendations to prevent methylfolate side effects:

It is important to prepare your cells and other biochemical pathways before stimulating them with methylfolate and methylcobalamin.

Following the lifestyle, dietary and environmental recommendations in the MTHFR Protocol post is a very important first step.

The next step is to begin with some basics – and these basics are as explained above:
  • electrolytes
  • glutathione
  • B vitamins (no B12 and no methylfolate)
  • multivitamin/multimineral (no B12 and no methylfolate – plus no Iron or Copper)
  • reducing stress by supporting lifestyle, diet and adrenals

sregan

What Caledonia said... If you're deficient from taking methyl supps it's most likely either MFolate, MB12 or Potassium. Long term methylation supplementation might also produce deficiencies in Magnesium (and Calcium) and possibly Copper (from what Freddd showed us).