• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hope I’m not late to the party - long Covid proves to be physical (article)

Rufous McKinney

This is a significant new finding, but may not be entirely THE CAUSE...this could all be effects downstream of something else.

but its certainly vindicating for folks who experience severe muscular issues and find it very perplexing (my hip flexors)

BrightCandle

All they had to do was look, because patients have been reporting harm from exertion for decades. It's shameful it had to get this far before someone did muscle biopsies post exertion to prove the damage the patients were obviously reporting, I sure hope this puts a stop to the use of CPETs for diagnosis.

Gijs

Hope_eternal

N=25, not impressive at all. This study will not change anything for this moment. More replication studies are needed. Also it doesn't explain all symptoms and it is not the cause.
Sorry you think it’s not impressive. I was happy they proved that the physical fatigue is biological. We were told like many to keep exercising and go see a psychiatrist numerous times. For 8 months the doctors looked at us like we were crazy and it was all mental. I think that this finding is very important to those that are dismissed by the medical community, I know it doesn’t explain all the symptoms unfortunately nor is it the cause but it does give those who were discounted some vindication. Next time that happens they can pull up the article and say nope you’re wrong.

Last edited:

Wishful

Fair bit of research that shows Amyloid can be broken down by Curcumin.
Check the wiki:

"Curcumin, which shows positive results in most drug discovery assays, is regarded as a false lead that medicinal chemists include among "pan-assay interference compounds". This attracts undue experimental attention while failing to advance as viable therapeutic or drug leads,[3][6][17] although some derivatives of curcumin such as EF-24 have seen a significant amount of research.[18]

Factors that limit the bioactivity of curcumin or its analogs include chemical instability, water insolubility, absence of potent and selective target activity, low bioavailability, limited tissue distribution, and extensive metabolism.[3] Very little curcumin escapes the GI tract and most is excreted in feces unchanged.[19] If curcumin enters plasma in reasonable amounts, there is a high risk of toxicity since it is promiscuous, and interacts with several proteins known to increase the risk of adverse effects, including hERG, cytochrome P450s, and glutathione S-transferase.[3]"

There's more about safety warnings.

andyguitar

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 18-23-44 Effect of curcumin supplementation on exercise-induced muscl...png
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 18-23-44 Effect of curcumin supplementation on exercise-induced muscl...png
    190.2 KB · Views: 9