• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Homebrew Acetate and the Kreb's Cycle

frozenborderline

@debored13 Yeah I have benefited from Buteyko breathing as well. I don't actively do it, I have just learned to stop breathing so deep. I used to feel the need to breath excessively after eating, but since training myself not to, I do not have to do it anymore. Also helps that I am significantly better now than last year.

I think the excessive breathing is caused by dysautonomia causing lack of oxygen in tissues, but when you breath heavier (dysautonomia) you make the problem worse.

As for the carbs, I have tried extremely high carb, and zero carb, ketosis, carbosis, high protein, and tons of other stuff. There are pros and cons to each but if I where you I would at least give keto a try, especially if you think PDH is an issue. Or at least add it to your list to try at a later date.

Currently I am at like 150g Carb 100g protein rest fat. I have had some quite significant success recently with methylation, particularly in regards to my handling of carbs. Before I would get real bad heart pounding, now it is very minor. This is massive for me as heart pounding is my worst symptom. I still have some tinkering to do however as it has not been smooth sailing.

Despite the findings of people with cfs having trouble with glucose metabolism, I seem to need carbs and drink a lot of juice and eat potatoes.

I don't really know. I try to go for something in between. No foods are really curative but I do good with stuff like potatoes and eggs and juice

frozenborderline

As for diet, it seems that we are on a wide range of diets. Having a digestive system.that functions well and a well-adjusted microbiome is a given.

From everything I've been taught and read, a high carbohydrate diet is not a good idea, and a high carb/high fat diet is worse. ME to can have benefits, but, for many of us who are burning aminos for fuel as Fluge and Mella found, going keto doesn't provide enough amino acids.

Which leaves a lower carb diet.

My BP runs high due to antibodies, and the only thing rhats made a difference is a beta blocker. As we tend to be hypoxic, I'm not sure about the wisdom of increasing one's ratio of CO2.

As for the first point, I was just looking at the fluge and mella thing again and I think it means I should eat more gelatin? Some of the amino acids they mentioned aren't found in muscle meat as much I think, like BCAAs.

So i've been experimenting with more gelatin as I've also had good results from BCAAs.

As for the second point, well, of course there is a personalized medicine aspect and ymmv. But also buteyko and slow pranayama, which are methods for doing hypoventilation, increase CO2 ratio slightly. I need to read up on this more but my understanding is that slightly increased CO2 doesn't necessarily cause hypoxia in a linear fashion, but can help the absorption of oxygen in tissues. @Hip also talked about the fact that CO2 can cause increased blood flow to the brain , which is why he experimented with it.

I also did terrible on beta blockers and would never touch them again except in a hypertensive crisis, but some people do great on them, so I think there aren't always universals.

Like I said, this isn't a fluke for me, anytime I have elevated diastolic blood pressure, I can quite reliably bring it down between 10-20 points by bag breathing for about a minute.

frozenborderline

@debored13 Yeah I have benefited from Buteyko breathing as well. I don't actively do it, I have just learned to stop breathing so deep. I used to feel the need to breath excessively after eating, but since training myself not to, I do not have to do it anymore. Also helps that I am significantly better now than last year.

I think the excessive breathing is caused by dysautonomia causing lack of oxygen in tissues, but when you breath heavier (dysautonomia) you make the problem worse.

As for the carbs, I have tried extremely high carb, and zero carb, ketosis, carbosis, high protein, and tons of other stuff. There are pros and cons to each but if I where you I would at least give keto a try, especially if you think PDH is an issue. Or at least add it to your list to try at a later date.

Currently I am at like 150g Carb 100g protein rest fat. I have had some quite significant success recently with methylation, particularly in regards to my handling of carbs. Before I would get real bad heart pounding, now it is very minor. This is massive for me as heart pounding is my worst symptom. I still have some tinkering to do however as it has not been smooth sailing.
as far as buteyko, is there a good breakdown of it anywhere online? i've only done pranayama, from a yoga book i have, trying extra hard to avoid the fast pranayamas and only do the slow ones

sb4

as far as buteyko, is there a good breakdown of it anywhere online? i've only done pranayama, from a yoga book i have, trying extra hard to avoid the fast pranayamas and only do the slow ones
I'm not sure. All I am doing is consciously remembering to breath less. Ie slower, and shallower.

There are control pauses which is basically, you breathe out like you normally would then hold your nose; first urge you get to breathe you breath again, it should be a normal breath, meaning no extra air intake. You can then do excercises to improve your CP. I did a bit of it but prefer to just constantly causually do it.

frozenborderline

a good example with the carbs thing is that a couple of times when i have taken thyroid, esp. cynoplus, with t4 (which I guess can be hard to metabolize) I did not crave food, but I craved juice. and juice helped with the headache. Its odd because starch basically gets metabolized as quickly as fructose but I just craved juice, not like bread or rice or potatoes

frozenborderline

I'm not sure. All I am doing is consciously remembering to breath less. Ie slower, and shallower.

There are control pauses which is basically, you breathe out like you normally would then hold your nose; first urge you get to breathe you breath again, it should be a normal breath, meaning no extra air intake. You can then do excercises to improve your CP. I did a bit of it but prefer to just constantly causually do it.
interesting. There are fast and slow pranayama in yoga and i am trying to just do the slow ones per pranarupa phil's suggestions, but i feel like i would love to learn some of the formal buteyko method. but its not as if i could pay an instructor to come to my bedside

sb4

interesting. There are fast and slow pranayama in yoga and i am trying to just do the slow ones per pranarupa phil's suggestions, but i feel like i would love to learn some of the formal buteyko method. but its not as if i could pay an instructor to come to my bedside
Yeah, although I will say that I think you can get a pretty good idea of what the buteyko excercises are by watching and reading free stuff online. Thats what I did.

The exercises seem to be just a way of forcing extra CP. Like you would breathe out normally, hold your noes, and then walk 20 paces, etc. I would just hold my nose and determine I will wait like 30-40 seconds before releasing my nose. It really helps to remain calm and relaxed whilst doing it. I did it a couple of times a day for a week or 2. Not sure if it helped that much.