• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Holtorf Clinic?

Has anyone been treated at one of the Holtorf Clinics in CA? They seem to use anti- virals similar to those in the Lerner study. Their website claims something like 90% of their pts see improvement after 3 visits.

Thanks!
Terri

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Has anyone been treated at one of the Holtorf Clinics in CA?

Their website claims something like 90% of their pts see improvement after 3 visits.

I WOULD NOT recommend the Holtorf Clinic. One of the reasons I am having a year and half long relapse of my CFS is due to taking the hydrocortisone prescribed to me by one of their doctors. I've written about my horrible HC reaction in several threads here, so maybe you can do a search and find it. I'm not up for re-writing the whole thing again.

When I had my severe adverse reaction to the HC, which included a bout of the worst anxiety that I've ever had in my life (2 months worth of severe anxiety--24/7), I called the Holtorf clinic to get some help with that. I heard my doctor flipping through some book, and then told me that "HC does cause anxiety... but it does cause psychosis." I will let that speak for itself.

The Holtorf Clinic has slick advertising, and makes claims on their website about people recovering in a few visits, but I have personally never heard of anyone here or on other forums validate those claims. Also, they charge EXORBITANT fees--$395 each for their first 2 visits. That's a real lot of money, especially for those of us without insurance.

So there's my 2 cents for you.

Well, that's what I was afraid of... too good to be true! I went back and read through the earlier threads. I am new posting to this group, but I have been lurking for awhile and I can see there are a lot of intelligent, experienced people here. If the Holtorf clinic were for real, there would be more positive comments being made about them.

Thank you both Dreambirdie and Andrew for responding.

Michael Dessin

I would NOT recommend them either....They are very expensive and I dont think they understand the serious nature of this illness.

SOME of there patients improve, mostly ones with hormone or minor issues, not chronic illness like most of us.

I spent alot of money and got very sick there...I had psychosis after a treatment and they said "thats the risk we take"

'"THAT'S THE RISK WE TAKE"??????!!!!!! How awful. That is really scary. I knew they were expensive, but I was so hoping it was because they were good and getting results. I'm living in Indiana now, but I'm originally from Torrance, so I have family there and thought it would cut down the cost of treatment by having a place to stay. Thanks for the response; I appreciate it and am grateful for the warning.

markmc20001

saw them a few times

I saw the clinic a few times. They nailed me for about $5000 in three visits or so. I think they are in it for the money more than anything.

*GG*

'"THAT'S THE RISK WE TAKE"??????!!!!!! How awful. That is really scary. I knew they were expensive, but I was so hoping it was because they were good and getting results. I'm living in Indiana now, but I'm originally from Torrance, so I have family there and thought it would cut down the cost of treatment by having a place to stay. Thanks for the response; I appreciate it and am grateful for the warning.

No place close enough on the Co-cure site?

If your in Indiana, maybe check out Dr Guyer?

Thank you for the reference! Have you seen Dr. Guyer or heard good things? As you can probably tell, I am newly dx, and still trying to figure out which way to go and what to do. My local drs are pretty much done with me, except for doing med refills...no interest in helping me improve, etc.

Kathi

Hydrocortisone

Hydrocortisone made me extremely ill!!! ( I got mine at the Fibro and Fatigue Center in Pittsburgh which utilized many of the Holtorf protocols) The product offered me one day in which I almost felt normal and then ill beyond ill. My sore throats returned and would not relent, my temperature was 102 degrees and would not come down. I felt like I had been hit by a bulldozer and couldn't get out of bed. My hydrocortisone was compounded ,so it did not have fillers etc etc. Suffice it to say I made the decision to get off the hydrocortisone and the symptoms slowly dissipated. But the effects were long lasting. Any progress I had achieved on my own before going to the Fibro and Fatigue Center was negated.

If you are truly ill, one must be extremely careful. I make it a habit of only trying one thing at a time so I know what is causing what.

re: NT/Neural Therapy

Thanks for the explanation, and excuse my late response; I somehow missed your post.

re: Hydrocortisone

Thanks for sharing your experience. I ended up having labs run that showed like many other here, I have toxic levels of bad things, not any levels of good things like minerals, etc and "leaky gut syndrome". Also have cortisol levels off the charts. Started on a regimen of vitamins, minerals, supplements... and got even sicker.

I am now with you Kathi; I change only one thing at time, and in a very small starting dose. Slowing building back up to where I was. I am totally leery now of ANYTHING IV; no way to take it back once a big massive dose is given!

UGH!