• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hives

During my viral onset in December I broke out in a wide spread rash of hives across my arms and torso, which suddenly disappeared but I would get he odd hive reoccur. When the virus came back for the 2nd time a couple of weeks later I got the hives rash again, but hadn't seen any since. I just saw today I had a small but very obvious hive on my chest. I think this was because of me having to walk quite a long distance prior.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you think it's the body reacting to a lingering/chronic infection or is an autoimmune thing?

boombachi

@Frustrated I don't suffer with hives but my son does. They started with a virus just like you. He was diagnosed with chronic urticaria. Urticaria has many triggers. My son gets them when he is physically active, cold or hot and sometimes just because.....

It was helpful to see the dermatologist to have this confirmed and she helped us understand what the likely triggers are. There are so many different types.

We have a very good herbal pharmacist who prescribes nettles (either tea or tincture). Also we found that high doses of vitamin c can reduce the severity of outbreaks. These remedies help but don't cure it. There are times when only an antihistamine will do.

Hopefully your hives will not be chronic. I think some people have a couple of outbreaks and then they go. For others they last months before clearing up. I know the symptoms are really unpleasant but they can be well managed with antihistamines.

I have done a lot of research on hives hoping to find a more permanent solution but we have settled for managing the symptoms.

you might like to watch the documentary Fat, sick and nearly dead. Its about someone who had an extreme form of urticaria who did cure himself but as we all know what works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

I wish you all the best

IreneF

I broke out in hives the last time I went for a hike. I also had shortness of breath. (That was 10 or 12 years ago.)

I hate hives. I got them a couple of times from exposure to sunlight when I was a kid. The antihistamines knocked me right out, for over 24 hours.

They are usually an allergy but sometimes it's just not clear what is causing them.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
Anyone here currently dealing with hives? Or if you managed to get them into remission, could you please post?

Thanks. :)

fredam7

I have hives every single day and have tried all the prescription drugs , vit c etc and nothing helps .

I don't have allergies other than to mold which is not an allergy , they're just positive on labs because mold makes anyone sick . So the hives have nothing to do with allergies

It also depends on if the hives are regular or dermatographic.

If anyone has regular hives , it's worth having labs done to see if you do have allergies to certain things .

Medicine in the west knows very little . It's strange how amongst chronically ill people, there are those who think they're some kind of leader of the ill, like we are in some Harvard mathematics fraternity and there are positions of any kind . They're usually just opportunists.

But these sorts are so quick to feign criticism of medicine and dr's all while justifying ,promoting and running interference for dr's. They say that dr's are just so torn up inside because they so desperately want to help but don't know the answer or they just can't bear not knowing or not helping .

The truth is, most dr's dislike people and are annoyed , disgusted , don't care and are only interested in their paychecks and lifestyle . So no, no one will even try to think why the hives are happening .

If the hives are bothersome , our best bet is eastern medicine . Be careful with the prescription antihistamines

Sorry for anyone with hives , they can be very disruptive . The other thing is the histamine . If that gets out of control , other symptoms develop so it's worth trying to figure it out

As for the fat and almost dead video , I'm guessing the person was large and eating horribly and then improved by changing their diet . The people that are healthy all their lives , really can't do much in this area . I had a large ex fritnd laugh how she ate mcdonalds and only her thumb hurt once and I are healthy and was athletic and am in so much pain , like her being obese was a victory afterall .

There has to be a reason for the hives . If they're minor , I guess it can be ignored , if frequent and over years , allergists are not much help . They just say you have MCAS or mastocytosis .

fredam7

@fredam7 Thank you very much for your post. I am trying to solve a puzzle. :)

Me too, I'm fed up with these hives . My best guess is something is wrong with our blood . It was the hematologist's belief and I tend to agree .

The blood circulates everywhere. For some it can be simple allergies but I think for the rest , our cells are altered . I'm afraid it is permanent . I can't do anything to stop mine . Even if I bend my wrist back and the skin touches other skin , I get hives! So pressure

The blood is abnormal in my opinion

MTpockets

I use quercetin to keep my hives manageable. Mine are from problems with my mast cells, not really any one outside trigger. So I rely on mast cell stabilizers like quercetin and vitamin c to help control things. Works pretty good if I'm careful. I also feel as though the work I've done on my gut biome has really made a difference.

fredam7

@MTpockets thats pretty miraculous . I take quercetin and vit c and dermatographia goes strong around the clock . Mine are from mast cells too , it's what causes dermatographia but doesn't necessarily mean one has MCAS but one can

I was going to go ahead with the xolair out of desperation but doesn't matter much anymore .