• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HIV gives low CD4 count. XMRV gives low CD57 count? Possibly important for treatment

serg1942

Hi Redo, no, I've not been tested for CD56. Do you now what is the difference? I was reasearching about this and it isn't still clear to me.

Thanks,
Sergio

redo

CD simply means cluster differentiation (you can read a more specific describtion on wiki). Different "CD's" doesn't have to have much in common.

serg1942

Hi Redo,

Thanks for your quick answer. I know what CDs nomenclature means. My doubt is the difference between the measurement of the expression of the proteins CD56 and CD57, when it comes to assessing the NK status. My complete NKs test is as as follows:

% CD8-/CD57+ Lymphs: 1 (2-17) %
Abs. CD8-CD57+ Lymphs: 9 (60-360) /uL

(How can I be living with so few NKs!!!! ;-)

I'm trying hard to figure out the exact interpretation of these results. I was tested for them as a possible marker for the degree of Lyme disease, but my Igenex test showed a "clear" (all the clear this can be) negative for Borrelia. So, I wonder if XMRV can be lowering my NKs so much, as HIV has shown to do.

Any way, I'd very much like to understand these results. Could you (or anyone else) help me with this? This would be my questions:

- Which is the difference between CD56 and CD57 when it comes to the assessment of NK cells status?

- What the value given in % means?--I read some studies referring to activity of NKs, using percentages as units, but I cannot understand this...

- The second measurement seems to be the absolute count of NKs (at least the ones expressing the CD57 membrane protein ...), but again, the units confuse me, as they wrote "/uL)". I assume "uL" stands for microlitres, but then, it should be "something/microlitres"...

Any thoughts will be very appreciatted,

Thanks, and please pardon my english,
Sergio