• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine intolerance - anyone got that?

citybug

I've recently gotten drier and itchier. If the mast cell membranes are weak, has anyone had success with any omega or other oils to build up membranes? I have some doxepin, but fuzzy all day if more than 2 drops.

I also want to read Koan's memoirs or words of wisdom. I'm sure it would be better than Eat, Pray, Love.

thegodofpleasure

Player in a Greek Tragedy
Massive reaction to bites & stings

Hi everyone,
I've found your posts v. interesting and I sympathise with those of you who clearly have far worse problems than I do.

I'm not normally troubled by histamine problems , but have noticed that I'm getting a big over-reaction to bee/ wasp stings and horsefly bites these days - the associated swellings are enormous !! I take Anti-histamines when stung or bitten, but they are only moderately effective.

I guess this is another sign of an already activated / dysregulated immune system (?)

TGOP :tear:

willow

Hi

I don't get swellings at the sting site but I have had increased loss of movement, seized limbs after big stings. Any ideas anyone? I don't have known allergies but numerous intolerances, sometimes severe reactions.

citybug

I was having hot dry skin maybe related to histamine. Now have cracked dry ring around neck, and starting on my eyelid and palm peeling sometimes. Think from menopause. any suggestions? What do people use for soap?

Athene

ihateticks.me
Dear kdp,

I get terribly dry skin (always did, not as a result of CFS) and I recently started using pure organic castile soap. It's made fom nothing but olive oil, no perfume, no nothing. It is so gentle onmy skin. I think the abesnce of sodium laureth sulphate is important.
The other thing you can try if it gets even worse is to buy emulsifying ointment from the pharmacy. It comes in an industrial-product-looking tub and is always behind the counter, not on display. You don't need a prescription, it is a totally bland inactive product. You can use it as moisturiser or scoop out a lumps and rub it in your hands with water to soften it and use as soap. Again, no perfume, no nasty ingredients etc. It is safe to use on cut a bleeding skin if you get severe eczema.

KDP, I've been taking quality fish oil for about three months but my mast cells are still exploding like crazy. I haven't noticed any improvement at all.

God of pleasure, it sounds as if you are allergic to bites and stings. You get a huge shapeless lump from them. If you put on antihistamine cream immediately and take an antihistamine tablet as well, it can help a little bit. At least it avoids them going septic from infection, which they can when they are so big and swollen. I was also advised that taking plently of vitamin B6 helps keep insects away, especially mosquitoes, and this really does work for me. I reckon it must be safer than using insect repellant which is full of toxins.

taniaaust1

I went throu a stage too where one could write on my skin. The slightest running of something along it would leave quite a red welt. It's stopped doing it thou.

(i deleted rest of my post as i was completely confusing things)

Athene

ihateticks.me
That's interesting, Diesel and definitely my situation., I don't really understand how I can have such bad diarrhoea and slow intestinal transit, but I know things take 48 hours to go through. Definitely too long.
I sometimes wonder if it could be the other way round, though? Being inflamed and full of allergies maybe slows the intestine down as it cannot function efficiently? What do you think?

citybug

Thanks Athene, somehow missed the post, have been avoiding soap. Would dr bonners castile be okay? I was worried that was too strong.
Also want to try Allerase. I have fast transit too. Once proven with drinking the barium stuff.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi, KDP,
I tried to find the ingredients of the soap you mentioned but I only saw soaps with perfumes or essential oils added, which are often very irritating to the skin. The stuff I use is made by an old woman in our village using organic olive oil from her son's smallholding. We're so rustic round here!!!! She just puts in the oil and some kind of soda that separates it, and then boils it till it separates into 2 layers.
I should think if you rummage on the internet you could find something totally plain like that.

A

Angellore

did anyone try antidepressants?

Hi, my skin writing goes away with both zoloft and st johns wart.. i react strongly to foods that are histamine rich (it makes my joints crack\pop within one hour, lasting for 2/3 days)

D

dirk

With histamine intolerance yiou have NOT a high IgE re allergies... that's the point of a Pseudo Allergy!

Guys, please try to understand that histamine intolerance is just a little part of the problem with the majority of the patients. It is too easy to put it all down to an allergic reaction to foods high in histamines.
Histamines (as an inflammatory marker) can be found in your heart, in your brain, in your lungs. Severe rheumatoid arthritis is related to histaminosis (a far better word than the harmless sounding Histamine Intolerance), Schizophrenia, Chronic Fatigue you name it it is all related to histamines.
It is easy to place a list of histamine rich foods on the web (most of the lists are actually wrong). If avoiding these foods does the job 100%, nobody would blog here any more.
Thats why we change the recipe of HistRelief all the time.
Please note, that so far 244 patients have used HistRelief (length: between 1 month and 12 month or even longer).
Approc. 140 patients are seaying that it helped a lot! 50 are saying that it helped at least a bit. The rest sorry. No success yet.
Also bare in mind: the ones who are happy do not blog any more
We keep on workingbig promise. So far the development of this drug has cost us over 150000 and we are not allowed to make any profits
Best wishes
Dirk Budka
www.histrelief.com
www.immunecliniclondon.com

Athene

ihateticks.me
Dirk,
Thank you for your message and welcomne to the forum. Please could you tell us your professional background and which organisation you represent?

Hi

This is my first message to this forum. To anybody suffering from histamine intolerance which irritates the gastrointestinal system, Dr. Dirk Budka might be the only hope any of us has of ever being helped. He is the leading authority in the world on histamine intolerance as far as I am aware. Unfortunately I live in New Zealand and am poor (lol) so must battle on alone, trying to help myself as much as possible. I also have lactose, gluten and fructose intolerance so my diet is abysmal to say the least. There is nobody in NZ who can help me and so far I have come up with a blank in trying to even get a diagnosis. There are no blood tests for diamine oxidase levels available here and neither is there a test for fructose malabsorption available through our public health system. I am not even sure if any of the biomedical doctors can offer either of these tests here. I have approached a few with no luck. Histamine intolerance is ghastly, to put it mildly.

MNC

Dirk,
Thank you for your message and welcomne to the forum. Please could you tell us your professional background and which organisation you represent?

I agree and want to know more. Please provide more details if you don't mind.

mhj

Suffering from histamine intolerance? Yes i do. My treatment is low in histamine diet.

After a session with Christine Tobback for dietry recommendations, i really understod the importance of histamine intolerance. Keyword: Biogenic amines.

Read more: http://be.linkedin.com/pub/christine-tobback/20/149/b2b see her website

http://merutt.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/presentasjon-tobback.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------
I do belive that when my conditions improves due to the overall treatment, lots of my generall intolerances will be decreased and gone.....:D

;)

richvank

Hi, Athene and the group.

For what it's worth, I think that the GD-MCB hypothesis can explain the histamine-related problems in CFS. The reason is that one of the main pathways for metabolizing (breaking down) histamine requires methylation. With a partial block in the methylation cycle, which most PWCs appear to have, based on testing, I think it would be expected that histamine would not be broken down at normal rates. For more information on this hypothesis and the treatment based on it, please see www.cfsresearch.org and click on CFS/M.E. and then on my name.

Best regards,

Rich

richvank...........you've put up a link dealing with CFS/ME. One thing I would like to point out about CFS in particular is that many times it is caused by an undiagnosed gluten intolerance. I get so frustrated whenever I see people trying to find cures for this condition. How do I know gluten intolerance is a major cause? Because it happened to me. I now believe that the damage done to my small intestine over several decades without any doctor ever suggesting I might be gluten intolerant is at the bottom of all my food intolerances such as fructose and histamine intolerance. It's a challenge finding things to eat but I am determined to heal myself and come up smiling in the end! Gluten should be banned IMHO. Here is a link providing details of some of the conditions it has been proven to cause.

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Research:-Associated-Diseases-and-Disorders

richvank

richvank...........you've put up a link dealing with CFS/ME. One thing I would like to point out about CFS in particular is that many times it is caused by an undiagnosed gluten intolerance. I get so frustrated whenever I see people trying to find cures for this condition. How do I know gluten intolerance is a major cause? Because it happened to me. I now believe that the damage done to my small intestine over several decades without any doctor ever suggesting I might be gluten intolerant is at the bottom of all my food intolerances such as fructose and histamine intolerance. It's a challenge finding things to eat but I am determined to heal myself and come up smiling in the end! Gluten should be banned IMHO. Here is a link providing details of some of the conditions it has been proven to cause.

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Research:-Associated-Diseases-and-Disorders

Hi, HistSista.

Yes, gluten intolerance is a biggie in CFS. When there are gut problems, avoiding both gluten and casein are often helpful. Also, when there are gut problems, I suggest running the Diagnos-Techs Expanded G.I. Panel. It includes tests for antibodies against gliadin, egg, soy and milk proteins. I realize that there are gluten intolerances that do not involve gliadin antibodies. Dr. de Meirleir also tests for fructose and lactose intolerance using breath gas tests.

I'm glad that you found that gluten was causing you problems, and I hope you do come up smiling in the end!

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich

I sincerely wish I could avail myself of the tests you mention, but I live in New Zealand and it is very difficult to find any medical practitioner who is up to speed with the latest in food intolerances. I am so thankful for the information I have learnt online, thanks to people such as yourself who post all kinds of facts about food intolerances, the latest research etc. There are 'alternative' practitioners here, but not one who seems to know it all. I live in hope!

:)

uk practitioner

Dirk,

Dear all,

Having seen Dirk Budka last year, I really have to strongly advice others not to see him. I ended up much worse off after treatment to the point where I can no longer work, and found others who too had a bad experience. We have since found that he has no qualifications in either the medical or complementary medicine field. He uses forums to get clients, his websites look interesting, but he will not give out info on qualifications because he does not have any. I would never normally want to state anything negative about anyone, but I would hate others to end up in a similar situation to me. My lesson: always find out a practitioner's qualifications, and check that they are registered with a recognised official body.