• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

higher level of Hemoglobine and Ferritine

Hi

I would like to ask you if the patient with CFS have in usually higher level of hemoglobine and ferritine.
I just came from my doctor and he told me that it can signalise a problem with lungs.
He says he doesnt want to scare me yet and he proposed me to do spiromethrie.
But its thrue that sometimes I cannot good respire.
So I just want to ask you if someone has an experience with this. I also visited proffesor de Meirleir some months ago and in his results were also higher levels of hemoglobine and ferritine.
So I hope he would tell me that something would be wrong (I am a big amateur with medicine and i am not in a mood to study about - but I think in our case its necessary)
thanks

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Michael did Prof de Merleir not address the high levels with you?

I just got the letter from him with the results and tretment. Its little bit complicated because I am not from Belgien.
I did maybe mistake that I didnt visite my doctor in my country - I just had to take a small break form the doctors. I am also going in few weeks again to Belgien, so I will ask him about it.

alex3619

Hi michal, one of the genes that can cause hemochromatosis is known as a risk factor for CFS. Hemochromatosis causes an iron accumulation that leads to massive oxidative stress. Some antioxidants can make this worse by interacting with the iron, so it is important to be tested. Bye, Alex

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
similar to giving blood is one treatment, but they throw the blood away. My dad had haemachromatosis and was put on medication but i dont think it worked because they just went back to taking blood from him every 3 months, but things have probably advanced since then, and yes i have been tested also and thankfully negative or maybe it would be better then cfs, mmm i think it would be. hopefully you have found your cause of fatigue.

cheers!!!

liverock

Iron overload can also be exacerbated by menopause in women when the monthly menstruation ceases. This monthly loss of blood protects women from some of the diseases that that cause men to normally die 7 years earlier, such as cancer and heart disease. After menopause women start having the same odds as men for heart disease and cancer.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi65.html

Athene

ihateticks.me
I just want to repeat the advice that you must get checked for hemochromatosis.
http://www.haemochromatosis.org/
this website has all the info you need.

However, I have also had these values quite significantly elevated for several periods of time in the past and I do not have hemochormatisis and I have never found another explanation, except that you can get this as a result of prolonged diarrhoea/dehydration. I thinkthere are a few other conditions that can give you these results temporarily, though none of them applied to me.

Emootje

Another possibility is that your plasma volume is too low. (dehydration)
Blood volume analysis will differentiate if the high hemoglobin is caused by increased red blood cell volume (primary or secondary polycythemia) or by decreased plasma volume. (relative polycythemia)
Low blood volume is common CFS

Chronic fatigue syndrome
One million Americans are reported to suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome. Low blood volume has been reported as a factor in this condition. Preliminary studies have shown that some patients with this condition do have low blood volume and can benefit from treatment. A blood volume measurement can help distinguish these patients from patients whose symptoms are unrelated to blood volume abnormalities.

http://www.daxor.com/

Ferritine is also an acute phase reactant and is increases by chronic infection/inflammation. If your iron is also increased hemochromatosis is more likely the cause of your increased ferritine.