• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High prolactin

Can't really do greens unless I cook them to death. The fiber causes GI inflammation and bleeding. I think overcooking them also makes the calcium less bioavailable.

I've been powdering egg shells and adding them to food. They contain strontium and boron too for bone support.

I'm going to ask my doctor to test T3/T4 just to be thorough. It just seems counter intuitive that my TSH would be low but I'd be hypo.

drob31

Can't really do greens unless I cook them to death. The fiber causes GI inflammation and bleeding. I think overcooking them also makes the calcium less bioavailable.

I've been powdering egg shells and adding them to food. They contain strontium and boron too for bone support.

I'm going to ask my doctor to test T3/T4 just to be thorough. It just seems counter intuitive that my TSH would be low but I'd be hypo.

My TSH is low and I'm hypo.

pattismith

My TSH is low and I'm hypo.
@Chiron
yes, I too have a low fT3, and 16% of CFS/ME patients have a low T3 syndrome in a recent study. High prolactinemia could be linked to low fT3 if TRH is high but pituitary not responsive to it...

And hypopituitarism is one of the hypothesis underlying CFS/ME pathogenesis

drob31

I requested a free T3 and free T4 test today from my doctor and will get it done soon. Will post once I have more info!!

The catch is you can have normal levels and still be hypothyroid, for a number of reasons, including cellular "resistance"

The way public health here is, they won't test your T3 and T4 unless your TSH shows abnormal. I went back today to get T3 and T4 specifically tested, but because my TSH was in normal range last time (barely), they only did a T4 test. I don't understand the logic of this, as the T3 value would've been helpful because T4 is useless if it's not converting.

Anyway... my TSH has gone up since last time. Maybe it's because I increased iodine in my diet after the last test. I realized that in the past 2 months of intense supplementation in recovery of my last auto-immune attack, I was not including enough food based iodine in my diet. I started taking a kelp extract with food 3 weeks ago as well as upping my calcium intake in the form of egg shells (can't do dairy, fibrous greens or calcium pills), and now TSH has risen.

TSH 1.53 (0.32-5.04)
T4 13.3 (10.6-19.7)

I don't know if this helps shed any light on the prolactin thing, or anything else.

I'm losing head hair a lot faster now, in the male baldness pattern. I'm assuming this is due to DHEA and/or pregnenolone. It could also be low iron. My hemoglobin is finally rising but it's still below normal. I get another iron IV in a couple weeks. Also hair loss is common after prednisone treatment... once the high cortisol drops the hair falls out. I just want it to stop because it's going to really start affecting my appearance.

Ema

Prolactin is as much an immune hormone as it is a reproductive one according to this article.

Prolactin (PRL) has a bioactive function acting as a hormone and a cytokine. It interferes with immune system modulation, mainly inhibiting the negative selection of autoreactive B lymphocytes. Likewise, hyperprolactinemia has been described in relation to the pathogenesis and activity of several autoimmune disorders.

Dopamine is an effective inhibitor of PRL secretion due to either a direct influence on the hypophysis or stimulation of postsynaptic dopamine receptors in the hypothalamus, arousing the release of the PRL inhibitory factor. Hence, dopamine agonists have proven to offer clinical benefits among autoimmune patients and represent a promising therapy to be explored.

Grigor

I also have a slight elevated prolactin. Also male pattern baldness. Or thinning.

The prolactin seems to get worse with high histamin food. Which lowers dopamin.

Also vitamin D makes it worse?

Anyways zinc seems to help according a Lancet study. Will try that next.

Vitamin D makes me worse too. I didn't know about the histamine connection. I have leaky gut and digestive disease, so that explains a lot too. Zinc seems to help the rebound of my libido but it does not help the intense CFS caused by orgasm that lasts for days.

drob31

I have random periods where I get super itchy on my skin on my legs. It's so intense I want to tear my skin off. It seems to happen if I have caffeine and my skin is dry and starting to sweat maybe from exersize. It only happens every few months and I would bet is related to histamine.

Pyrrhus

Poll:

Poll - very high prolactin
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/poll-very-high-prolactin.85644/

Related discussion:

High Prolactin Causes Severe Fatigue.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/high-prolactin-causes-severe-fatigue.24117/

About the Buspirone/Prolactin challenge test:

John Richardson's buspirone/prolactin challenge test may suggest a possible problem in the hypothalamus:
ETA: from Charles Shepherd's book, Living with ME: (not going to write it all)
"When people with ME/CFS were given busprione, their output of prolactin far exceeded that of the control group (as well as that of a group with depression). This type of experiment has also been repeated by other researchers, most of whom have reported similar findings (see refs 156, 158, 172, 173 & 178).

It has also been suggested that a buspirone challenge could become a use objective test for monitoring progress in ME/CFS,or even a diagnostic test. Levels of prolactin before administration of buspirone are, incidentally, quite normal in people with ME/CFS. A raised level of resting prolactin may indicate the presence of a pituitary tumour."

See also:
Relationship Between SPECT Scans and Buspirone Tests in Patients with ME/CFS (Richardson, 1998)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ship-between-spect-scans-and-buspirone.10441/
(only available to Phoenix Rising members with more than 100 posts)

Last edited: