• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High intolerance to casein low to goats milk?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Can anyone explain how I can test high on casein intolerance and low on goats milk? (via KdM)
I have also been diagnosed with osteopenia(sp) and know I really should take some product daily to compensate for not having dairy, sheep or goats milk.

Glynis Steele

Do you mean that you are less intolerant to goat milk? If so, this from Pecanbread might explain why.

Goat Milk Composition
(from www.dgc.co.nz/about.html)

For hundreds of years, goat milk has been regarded as the closest milk to human milk. While at the gross compositional level the amount of fat and protein is similar to that in cow milk, there are significant differences between the types of fat, protein and minor components present. When compared with cow milk, goat milk is considered to provide advantages due to the following factors:

The fat in goat milk is in smaller globules. Smaller fat globules provide a greater surface area for enzymes to break down the particles, enabling easier digestion. In addition, goat milk lacks 'agglutinin', a factor present in cow milk that makes fat globules in milk clump together.
Goat milk fat contains a significantly greater proportion of short and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) than cow milk fat, which contributes to more rapid digestion. Goat milk is higher in caproic (C6), caprylic (C8), capric (C10), which total 16% in goat milk (compared with 7% in cow milk). They have been used to treat malabsorption symptoms, intestinal disorders, premature infant feeding etc.
Goat milk forms smaller, softer, more easily digested curds in the infant stomach, which eases the digestive process. Goat milk, due to absence or low levels of alpha-s1-casein, produces curds that are weaker and less firm than cow milk.
Goat milk has better buffering capacity than cow milk at the pH-temperature conditions that exist in the stomach. This can be very useful for those with gastric ulcers. Goat milk contains bio-active factors such as insulin-like growth factor.

Are you looking for non-dairy alternatives for calcium? Here is a list, not sure if it's accurate, just copied and pasted from this link

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/15-non-dairy-foods-high-in-calcium.html

Sesame Seeds
A quarter cup of sesame seeds has 351 mg calcium.

Spinach
A cup of boiled spinach has 245 mg.

Collard Greens
A cup of boiled collard greens has 266 mg.

Blackstrap Molasses
One tablespoon has about 137 mg.

Kelp
One cup of raw kelp has 136 mg.

Tahini
Two tablespoons of raw tahini (sesame seed butter) have 126 mg.

Broccoli
Two cups of boiled broccoli have 124 mg.

Swiss Chard
One cup of boiled chard has 102 mg.

Kale
One cup of boiled kale has 94 mg.

Brazil Nuts
Two ounces of Brazil nuts (12 nuts) have 90 mg.

Celery
Two cups of raw celery have 81 mg.

Almonds
One ounce of almonds (23 nuts) has 75 mg.

Papaya
One medium papaya has 73 mg.

Flax Seeds
Two tablespoons of flax seeds have 52 mg

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Glynis thank you for all that you are a star! yes I have been looking at ways of increasing my calcium and protein intake through food.
No intolerance to goats milk and very high intolerance to casein on the chart , I just didn't understand as I thought goats milk contained casein??
Amongst others were dangerously high intolerances to oysters and almonds, what a funny combination, good job I don't eat either anyway:)

Glynis Steele

You're welcome Maryb. Here is another cut and paste from Pecanbread, saying the casein is different in goat milk.

"Apha-s1 is the major casein protein present in cow milk and has been
identified as one of the major cow milk allergens. By contrast the major
casein in goat milk is -casein, and alpha-s2 casein is the main alpha
casein present."

Glynis x

ixchelkali

The protein structure of cow casein is different from that of goat casein. The immune cell recognition of allergens is largely based on the protein structure, so it's possible to be allergic to cow's milk casein and not allergic to goat's milk.

Here's an article in PubMed that discusses it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951635/?tool=pubmed

Vegans are able to get calcium from the vegetables in their diet, but if you're going to do that you need to eat a lot of green-and-leafies. Which isn't a bad idea, anyway, especially for people with ME/CFS, since they're also a source of antioxidants and oxidative stress can be an issue for us.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Its beginning to make more sense now, why are these tests so difficult to interpret??? I'm going to start on the goats milk yoghurt, perhaps try the cheese sometime later in the year.
ixchelkali love this,

One of these mornings
You're gonna rise up singing,
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky...

Now if only I knew which morning it was going to be:)

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Replacement

In place of milk i use soya, almond breeze, amd rice dream (enriched) I rarely use the soya milk as I think too much might not be good for you. The label on the enriched rice dream that I have says, 1 cup contains 30% of your daily requirement for calcium.
I did try goats milk but don't like it.

glen

leaves

watch out tho, if you are not allergic to it you can easily become so as it is very cross allergenic. You can use hemp milk or coconut milk as replacement too.