• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose Acyclovir

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
As far as Famvir being effective against HHV6....this is how the story goes... Doctor Dantini (Doc in Florida that wrote a CFS book and supposedly cured himself) talked to the people doing the clinical studies on Famvir. They were only trying to have it approved for HSV. They said it was active against HHV6 but that is not what they were working on at the time and there was no money in it.

I understand not wanting to play around with this illness longer than needed. I would still try starting with the Famvir or the Acyclovir for awhile and see if you can knock some of those titers back before proceeding with Valcyte. My doctor was all about pushing that Valcyte and told me that I would never get deep into the cells if I didnt use it. Now he only prescribes Acyclovir. He was doing Famvir for awhile but really swears by Acyclovir.

Tough choices....
@GlassCannonLife
About famvir cmv, hhv6 etc.

godlovesatrier

Hey thanks for posting.

I have had the same experience with valtrex. I know it doesn't work for tons of people on this forum but for me it did work and rather rapidly, within a week or two I was feeling quite a lot better. Although not fully better, as that would take longer. My experience with Famvir and Valtrex is that indian generics are terrible and have god awful side effects. So would be interesting to know what brand of Famvir you took.

That aside the valtrex caused kidney stones (they must have been small but it was still painful and uncomfortable and I assume that I had several in my kidneys as I could feel each stone going down to my bladder repeatedly over 48 hours). Although it took a lot of fluids to get there.

Valtrex did buffer PEM and did get rid of my sore throat, fatigue disappeared after a week or so and was the earliest symptom to go (as long as I didn't push). PRob at 70% but pushing towards 80%.

Currently taking Famvir because of the valtrex kidney stones - blood work for my kidneys was fine thankfully and looked better than it had while I was on the josh leisk protocol. I can only assume the egcg didn't do my kidneys any favours, surprise surprise. Anyway the valtrex also induced allergic reaction type symptoms - as a herx should not be possible I think it must be an allergic reaction. It got quite bad one night when I was on 500mg 3x a day. I realised if I went above 500mg a day I'd get this reaction. It's possible this is a cross reaction with something else although my ASOT test came back as negative so couldn't be strep.

Anyway long story short valtrex did work and remarkably well. I was taking 500mg of GSK brand 3x a day. 1G 3x was even better and I could feel it hitting much harder, but that's when the allergic symptoms started.

Famvir does seem to work too, fatigue goes and PEM is improved. But this causes insomnia if taken after 11am and it's a dose dependent insomnia as well. Still a morning dose lasts all day. Currently I have a hunch that the generic is making me feel so crappy and once I get off it I believe side effects may well improve.

So just wanted to add my two cents. I am a month into treatment and still experiencing enhanced lymphatic drainage and dizziness but far less brain fog. Believe this to be the viruses dying off. Did experience terrible post nasal drip first 16 days on Famvir, but this second time I am not experiencing that so far!