• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High BDNF

judyinthesky

Is there anyone with high Brain Derived Neurotropic Factor (BDNF)?

this relates to research on fibromyalgia and ME, and I wonder whether there's ever been solutions proposed?

It's part of a neuroinflammation panel, high in Adhs, which I don't have, psoriasis, but also excitotoxicity as hypothesised (which I certainly have)

I find things to bring this up but not down.
Apparently stopping to take fish oil is one idea...

Any other ideas?
I'll link the health rising article below.

YippeeKi YOW !!

but also excitotoxicity as hypothesised (which I certainly have)
BDNF is closely related to learning and memory. It has a tight connection to glutamate, an excitotoxic neurotransmitter, and one which, in excess, can cause extreme anxiety and related issues, including the death of brain cells.

It's increased by exercise, by caffeine, and by several other things that you probably already know about.

The only thing I'm aware of and have specific personal experience with is magnesium, which works to block the NMDA receptors triggered by glutamate and BDNF, and prevents glutamate's excitotoxic over-expression in the brain and the CNS generally ....

judyinthesky

Thanks! I'll try to up the magnesium
Yes definitely feels like a brain damage meanwhile I hope at least some regenerate

I think my ME might be strongly driven by this, because every crash starts with extreme anxiety for me

judyinthesky

BDNF is closely related to learning and memory. It has a tight connection to glutamate, an excitotoxic neurotransmitter, and one which, in excess, can cause extreme anxiety and related issues, including the death of brain cells.

It's increased by exercise, by caffeine, and by several other things that you probably already know about.

The only thing I'm aware of and have specific personal experience with is magnesium, which works to block the NMDA receptors triggered by glutamate and BDNF, and prevents glutamate's excitotoxic over-expression in the brain and the CNS generally ....

Do you have an experience with how much magnesium would be cool for this?

YippeeKi YOW !!

Yes definitely feels like a brain damage meanwhile I hope at least some regenerate

Yes. The plasticity of the brain is being revealed more and more to be truly dramatic.

It's like the lion's paw: once you remove the thorn, things start to knit back together, so dont despair .....
I think my ME might be strongly driven by this, because every crash starts with extreme anxiety for me
It took me awhile, because whe I finally bit the bullet and joined PR after lurking for quite a while, I was still in pretty bad shape. I'm not sure when it started dawning on me, but I've noted with growing interest the number of members here who are sensitive to glutamate or have issues that seem to indicate that.
Do you have an experience with how much magnesium would be cool for this?
Ever keeping in mind that I'm absolutely NO sort of medical ANYTHING (and proud of it), I can only share what I finally stumbled on after a lot of research and experimentation, and quite a few failures.

In my fractured research (no brain function, constant really really horrendous anxiety/panic attacks non-stop for over a solid YEAR, relentless, terrifying, awful way to live .... exhaustion/fatigue, insomnia..... you know the drill. The usual), I kept bumping up against the NMDA receptor, and after plodding slowly and painfully thru several studies, I found the first intimation tht magnesium could block those receptors.

I started with whatever mag I had on hand, and took large doses. Nothing. After going thru multiple different dosings, usually really high, and several different kinds of magnesium (there's a good 8 - 10 fairly common ones, and several new entries in the field) I was about to give up and figure that it was either all bullshite or I’d misinterpreted something.

Then on instinct, I tried the last ditch solution: I started dosing with small amounts at very tight intervals, and I added Vit C because it also acts on the NMDA receptors and would be an additional antagonist.

After a looooooong period of experimentation, here’s what worked for me. YMMV, and you may need to experiment to find your optimal form of magnesium and dosing intervals, but this’ll give you something to start with:

50 mgs of magnesium glycinate, every 30-60 minutes, depending on how bad I was at the time, with approx. 250 mgs of Vit C every 2nd or 3rd dose. I’d also throw in bout .25 mgs of melatonin because I thought that could help. Not sure if it did, but it didn’t do any damage, either.

At my worst, I was taking upwards of 2000-plus mgs of magnesium a day, and probably about 3000 mgs of Vit C, with no ill effects.

A word of caution: avoid mag citrate and mag oxide, both of which will cause very unpleasant bowel responses. Mag gly is magnesium bound to glycine, which is an amino acid and a large molecule, which is what keeps it from creating the bowel effects that would otherwise defeat you….

Good luck, and if you have any questions, gimme a holler ….

judyinthesky

Thank you
It's fascinating that there is already some research but not much came out of it
Like you I'm convinced a proportion of our population has this issue more than others
Not everyone is having a crash that's started by doom and crazy psychotic anxiety (it always leaves me, at the longest stayed 24/7 for 6 months but I didn't try to pace then)

I was already taking double magnesium then, because of my pancreas illness.
I'll consider and thanks so much!

I'm not sure how much the magnesium had an effect on my betterment last time, because it is more a shifting of symptoms than a real betterment, what I've experienced throughout the weeks, but you can always hope
X

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'm not sure how much the magnesium had an effect on my betterment last time, because it is more a shifting of symptoms than a real betterment,
It was the difference between life and death for me, and I mean that quite literally, and the results have proven their longevity.

Granted, it's not the Holy Grail that we're all reaching for, but it brought me up out of a pit so dark, so deep, so relentlessly destructive, depressing, demoralizing and unendurable that I truly considered that the only alternative for me was the permanent one.

Keep in mind, random dosing of magnesium, or even concentrated high dosing, did nothing for me in the 6 to 8 months that I undertook this experiment. It was the desperation that drove me to trying VERY SMALL DOSES AT VERY TIGHT INTERVALS that worked ....

We're all different. You may need to find another option, but I wanted to share the one that worked for me, just in case ....